Default State's Playing Dodge Ball with Support

My question involves child support in the State of: California and Minnesota.
    Marriage and Divorce occurred in California. Wife moved to Mn after having wage order assigned and visitation set up through the California court.

She had California Css administer the order. She then opened up another support case in Mn seeking support. So support would see four different handoffs by the time it hit her. Anyway the Min css became the initiating state and california the responding state. During about 3 yrs I fell inconsistant with regular payments causing tax intercept initiated by MN. MN never told California of the Intercept and I the paperwork I was working off was just my pay stubbs showing money going, never a monthly accoounting that you might get from any other bill. Anyway when I went to pay lump sum to clear arrearage with California I asked for an accounting and realized that nothing in Mn was reflected. The total that Mn has intercepted over the years was $3000. At my sons 17 birthday he moved to california and lived with me until his 18 birthday. I kept regular support payments until his 18 birthday when I was informed that my xwife told Mn that he was still in Highschool and would be there until June. She lied about where and who he was with and He was already finished with High School, he was attending night school.

She since has moved back to California and I have won the initial audit which provides me with a $5000 overpayment. I was told by my caseworker to make 1/2 of my support obligation until the overpayment is 0. Even though my xwife lives in Californa now Mn still claims monthly support in the full amount and they dont recognize the overage until the child nears the end of support,(so like 17 1/2) i would stop support. I send support to California and they refund it to me stating that the case is on hold for audit and removal. I try to talk to the case worker but my case is too complicated for them and I can see them make stuff up just to get me out the door. Stuff like your case was closed by the mother, we no longer enforce your order.l

I believe the mother revoked her case in an attempt to sidestep california'[s fair approach to repayment and continue with Mn enforcement.
    I have no contact information, no forwarding account processing information to send support. I send support from automatic bill pay to california and they send it back.

My questions.

1. Who governs my support order, disbersement and accountability if both parents live in california and the order originated there?

2. What can I do to eliminate Mn from administrative involvement in my case, they again have intercepted my federal taxes this year despite arrears.

3. Since my support is being mailed and I have been getting refunds, I know that when all is final there will be arrearages. Is that arrearage going to have interest attached to it?

Thank you so much for your time and comments..

god bless

Default Re: State's Playing Dodge Ball with Support

I have nothing to add but that the interstate child support system is broken. it has been for atleast the 6 years I have been dealing with them.
    just to let you know it happens to everyone.
    I pay in Hawaii, they take it out of my check, it originated in Hawaii and my ex moved to washington. Washington started contacting my boss and threatening court actions if he didnt start paying them instead of hawaii, he didnt let me know and stopped paying Hawaii. I see its coming out of my checks so i dont know where its going, just that its getting paid. all of a sudden Hawaii comes after my state taxes and washington goes after my federal return! I call Hawaii and they let me know they stopped getting money about 7 months prior. I ask my boss and he tells me about Washingtons involvement. They not only took over but went all the way back to my childs birth, we were still together till he was almost 3, then I had him till he was almost 4 and allready payed child support for 3 years so they were chargeing me for almost 7 years!! I was able to get the Hawaii attorney general involved. Washington fired a couple of people and my case went back to Hawaii, but i was still out the 7 months I paid Washington, I still owed Hawaii for the last 7 months and Washington kept $900 from my return! Washington said they allready paid it to my ex so to get it from her! Hawaii said getting it back from my ex would put a financial strain on my son, even though she is married to a officer in the military and they make alot more then I do!
    Then she visited her inlaws in california and started the same mess over there, in 2 counties! but this time the Attorney general is on speed dial and got it taken car of. Now when she went back home to Washington they refused her to file a claim there and to this day refuse to help her so she kept one of the California offices, now living in Washington and having a california csea go thru Hawaii. somewher along the lines they added the amount Washington was claiming and the amount Hawaii claimed i owed and added it together when in fact I hadnt owed any back support and had been over charged by my taxes being taken away! Hawaii got it mostley straightened out but everytime we get california to go back to the correct amount a few months later they have some wacked out higher amount again and have been taking my taxes each and every year. Hawaii has a hard time keeping track since Cali dont report it, the whole thing is a mess, at one time I had 4 csea offices claiming that they were getting support on my credit report. all of a sudden my credit cards interest goes up and they cut my limit down. because so many csea were on my report it looked like I was paying 4X the amount that I really did, and they were all showing that I owed back support and missed payments, funny cause a payment has come out of my check every single month for th last 8 years and they take my taxes so im ahead, atleast somewhere!
    I've had to get rid of all credit cards, cant have a bank account because even though Hawaii agrees Im current Cali still goes back and forth with no ryme or reason and will take money out of my bank accounts randomly. I dont have taxes taken out anymore or cali will collect it and ofcourse they wont report it to Hawaii so the whole system is screwd!

I would suggest seeing if your attorney generals office can assist in anyway, they helped me out.

From what you say, after your mutual move to Minnesota, they gained jurisdiction. With California's stepping out of the scene, you're left with Minnesota. Why do you expect an arrearage at the end if, in fact, you have an overpayment for which you have claimed that you're entitled to credit?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    From what you say, after your mutual move to Minnesota, they gained jurisdiction. With California's stepping out of the scene, you're left with Minnesota. Why do you expect an arrearage at the end if, in fact, you have an overpayment for which you have claimed that you're entitled to credit?
    We didnt move to Mn, she did. I continued to stay in california. She opened the case there to get double money. Thinks it wont wash out in time. I dont expect an arearage at the end what they say their policy is towards overpayments is they reduce the the amount from the childs emancipation date backward until it equals the the arears. so if i pay 100 a month im overpayed by 600, support stops the 6th month into my childs 17th year

1. Sponsored Links