Default Bounced Payroll, NSF Fees, and Taking Your Employer to Court

State of : Washington State

While I'm sure this topic has been discussed, I am having problems finding details pertaining to Washington State in particular. So...

My employer has been paying me late, postdating checks, etc etc. It wasn't until this last pay period that he actually had one returned for NSF. The check was deposited on 1/19, and wasn't returned until 1/26, so naturally I paid bills, wrote checks, and made purchases in that week's time. Now that the check has been taken out of my account, every purchase made with NSF in MY account has been hit with a 34.00 fee (times 8).

So question 1: Is the employer responsible for all of these fees and charges HE caused?

Probably not, from what I've been hearing, so my second question is what the process is to take him to small claims (or not SMALL, if required) to get all this money back? Even if he makes good on his check, I'm still going to be over 200.00 in the negative because of the fees generated from all of this. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Bounced Payroll, NSF Fees, and Taking Your Employer to Court

You are correct, however, issuing an NSF check is, at best, a misdemeanor. You might also want to consider filing a police report.

Google "small claims in Washington"; you should be able to drill down by county.

Default Re: Bounced Payroll, NSF Fees, and Taking Your Employer to Court

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    You are correct, however, issuing an NSF check is, at best, a misdemeanor. You might also want to consider filing a police report.

Google "small claims in Washington"; you should be able to drill down by county.
    Thanks Patty. Found some really useful information. Let's hope this resolves itself before court becomes an issue.

1. Sponsored Links