Default Extradition for Probation Violation and Contempt of Court

In Jan 1999, I was charged in Gwinnett County Georgia (it's just outside Atlanta) with misdemeanor DUI and Driving on Susp/Lics. Was sentenced to 180 days jail and fine and probation. I left the state and moved to NW Pennsylvania. I never reported to probation, paid any fines or reported to jail. So I knew I had a "violation of probation warrant" out of Georgia. But recently while checking on the warrant, Gwinnett County Court told me I also have a contempt of court warrant as well. I've read on this forum that states will not go get someone out of state on misdemaenor warrants, but what about a contempt of court warrant? The contempt of court is related to the DUI case. A contempt of court warrant was issued because I did not report to jail on the date the judge ordered me to. Since a contempt of court charge is kind of different in that it is not labeled a misdemeanor or felony, would it effect Georgia's decision to come pick me up if PA asked if they wanted to come get me? In it matters, it's about a 14 hr drive from Atlanta to where I now live.

Default Re: Extradition for Probation Violation and Contempt of Court

I doubt that you will be extradited for either warrant, but as they say... only time will tell.

Default Re: Extradition for Probation Violation and Contempt of Court

I have read somewhere that some states can actually charge an individual with being a fugitive from justice. I live in PA and I believe PA may be one of those states. For example and from uderstanding it's like this: If you are wanted and law enforcement knows this, they will do 1 of 3 things... 1)PA will contact the state your wanted and see if that state wants to come get you. If they will come get you, then PA wil hold you for an alloted time until that state comes and picks you up. Then as far as PA is concerned that's the end of it. 2) If the state says they will not come get you, then PA will release you. Then as far as PA is concerned that's the end of it. -OR- and this is the one I'm talking about 3) If the state your wanted in says they will not come get you, PA can then actually "charge" you with being a "fugitive from justice". I'm talking about an actual criminal charge called "fugitive from justice". My understanding is it depends on what you are a fugitive from justice for. Something very minor like unpaid traffic tickets, a few bad checks, shoplifting then PA would just cut you loose if the other state did not want to come get you, BUT if it is a serious misdemeanor or a felony and the other state does not want to pick you up, PA can charge you with the crime of "being a fugitive from justice". If you are wanted on say a felony 2nd degree, the your charge will be "fugitive from justice" felony 2nd degree. If warrant is misdemeanor 1st degree then it wiil be "fugitive from justice" M1.... HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS???

1. Sponsored Links