Default Social Security and Birth Certificate Have Different First Name

Hi i'm jennie, i'm 29 and I currently live in florida. I could really use your help.

I have had problems most of my life because my social security card and my birth certificate have 2 different first names on it. because of this matter i have not been able to get a new identification card or a florida drivers licence, a bank account, a job or anything, its been really difficult. I have lived with my father all my life because of this.

When i was a teenager my parents took me to get my social security card in ohio i believe, (at the time it wasn't required for me to have one as a child). Although on my birth certificate it says a different first name, my family has always reffered to me as "jennie" so when we went to get my social security card at the social security office my parents asked the attendant if i was able to apply with the name jennie instead and she says that was not a problem, so we did.

I was never really aware that the name of my birth certificate was different than my social security card until my parents separated and my mother gave me all my paperwork before she left; for most of my life i never saw this to be a problem.

when i was 19 my family tried to get out passports but only i was refused because of this matter. they told me to go to the social security office and apply for a new social security card. When i went to the social security office here in florida and i tried to explain my situation to the attendant but i was told i did not have enough information available. i had been, along with my siblings, home schooled all my life until i was 18. so i don't have a high school diploma or anything.

i was only able to get an identification card once about 10 years ago, but when it expired and i tried to renew i was told i couldn't get one because the names where different on both my birth certificate and my social security card, and i was told by the FL dmv attendant that the social security i had was void.

i looked online on the requirements to get a social security card and its a catch 22 i can't get one thing without the other. i have the evidence of age but not the evidence of identity (As proof of your identity, you must provide either a U.S. driver's license; or U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or U.S. passport) this journey has been altogether very difficult, as my father gets older i am truly scarred that i will end up on the street because of all this. I am a smart individual who hasn't been able to get anywhere in life, while my siblings have, because of this matter. is there anything i can do? ..

thanks so much,

jennie.

Default Re: Social Security and Birth Certificate Have Different First Name

You do need to solve this. Find every single piece of official paper you can find. You were home schooled and never got a diploma? Did you ever see a doctor? You are 29 and never had a job? There's no record of your existance other than the birth certificate? If you were a teenager when you got your SS card, and you are 29 now, you had to show some kind of document showing that you were the person on the SS card application. Your local office may be able to request the original application, but that won't solve the problem. Maybe you aren't the person on the birth certificate. You may have to go to court to get your birth certificate name legally changed. You may have to get affidavits from your parents. You may need a lawyer. If you don't solve this, you will have these problems forever. Get busy now. You are about 10 years behind schedule.

Knowing how procedural Social Security is and requires their people to be, changing your name on your birth certificate to match your SS card, as Janke suggested, may be the easiest way to go without incurring significant legal costs. You will need to check on the requirements to have an amended birth certificate issued in the state you were born to see if this is a viable option for you. It will undoubably require a court order but should not be a costly process. If you post the name of the state, someone here may know what it will take.

thanks for your suggestions. i never have been able to get a job because of this matter, yes i have been to the doctor and no, i did not receive a high school diploma. i was born in PA. If i get my name changed on my birth certificate, you receive a new corrected birth certificate right? would i have to visit PA to get this done? and although my name will then match with my social security card, how will that work if its 'voided'.

Quote Quoting jennie
    View Post
    thanks for your suggestions. i never have been able to get a job because of this matter, yes i have been to the doctor and no, i did not receive a high school diploma. i was born in PA. If i get my name changed on my birth certificate, you receive a new corrected birth certificate right? would i have to visit PA to get this done? and although my name will then match with my social security card, how will that work if its 'voided'.
    I find it impossible to believe that you couldn't get a job because of this matter. For legal employment you need a social security number, but the majority of jobs do not require that you provide a birth certificate so the employer would never know that they don't match. Something else is in play here - maybe just your way of excusing not putting forth the effort to find a job.

You can contact the Pennsylvania Department of Health at 1-877-724-3258 to ask what you need to do to change your first name on your birth certificate. Don't even mention the Social Security issue. You'll just confuse them and quite possibly move to a non-answer. Your issue is simply that you want to change your first name on your birth certificate to be the same as the name that you have always been known as. They should tell you what you need to do (probably name change court order) and whether it needs to be done in Pennsylvania or whether they will accept an order from the state in which you currently live. They should also be able to tell you whether they will issue a new birth certificate or an amendment to the old, but either should be fine for you.

I've never heard of a Social Security card or number being voided. Check with your local Social Security office on that one first. If it truly has been somehow voided, it would seem that you could simply apply for a new Social Security card in the name shown on your birth certificate and not have to go through the birth certificate name change at all.

Quote Quoting Scott67
    View Post
    I find it impossible to believe that you couldn't get a job because of this matter. For legal employment you need a social security number, but the majority of jobs do not require that you provide a birth certificate so the employer would never know that they don't match. Something else is in play here - maybe just your way of excusing not putting forth the effort to find a job.

You can contact the Pennsylvania Department of Health at 1-877-724-3258 to ask what you need to do to change your first name on your birth certificate. Don't even mention the Social Security issue. You'll just confuse them and quite possibly move to a non-answer. Your issue is simply that you want to change your first name on your birth certificate to be the same as the name that you have always been known as. They should tell you what you need to do (probably name change court order) and whether it needs to be done in Pennsylvania or whether they will accept an order from the state in which you currently live. They should also be able to tell you whether they will issue a new birth certificate or an amendment to the old, but either should be fine for you.

I've never heard of a Social Security card or number being voided. Check with your local Social Security office on that one first. If it truly has been somehow voided, it would seem that you could simply apply for a new Social Security card in the name shown on your birth certificate and not have to go through the birth certificate name change at all.

i appreciate all your help, thanks again. to be honest, I've had a few small cash paying jobs in the past but nothing major or substantial to make any kind of income, although i technically could get a job i couldn't get paid for it, you need a bank account for direct deposit or a valid id to cash a check here in FL- so that is the main source of the problem.

the only problem with trying to get a new social security card is proof of identity which is either a drivers licence, passport or valid id card, or if you don't have those you can use health insurance card, employee id card, us military card, or certified medical records maintained by the medical provider.

all things that i don't have (or can't get b/c lack thereof), the only thing that is questionable would be medical records, would one visit be enough for medical documentation? i have gone to the hospital for surgery once before and another visit to a different walk in clinic, does that count?

You were given a phone number to call to start the process to change your name on your birth certificate. Start there. If they can't help you, ask for a phone number of who else to call. Monday. Keep asking questions until you know just what is required. Take notes. Then when you hang up the phone, start doing what you need to do.

Monday. You are 10 years late already. Get going.

1. Sponsored Links