Default Caught Shoplifting, Store Didn't Call the Police

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was caught shoplifting in New York. I shoplifted about $50 worth the stuff. Instead of calling the cops the store showed me some law written up on something and said they have the right to charge me 5x the stuff that I stole in order to drop the matter. So I agreed to pay them $250 not to call the cops and have 10 days to pay it.

What happens if I don't pay it. Will they get the cops after me? I am asking this to anyone who might have experience in not paying it. Not just asking as a "general question". I read online a lawyer who represents people who shoplift. He had right on his site that he recommends people not pay the amount of money ask for because the store is not going to file a civil suit against you for that amount of money as it would cost them more for a lawyer to show up.

I am not so sure I agree with his advise but if I didn't pay it I am wondering if they will get the cops after me if I don't pay it. I am only asking this of people who might have experience.

Thank you,
    Roger

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting, Store Didn't Call the Police

If you do not pay the Civil Demand:

- The amount of the C.D. will increase. Usually double...then increase again. Then the store sues you for the amount of the Civil Demand (the final one they mailed you) PLUS their court and attorney fees.
    So....$250 can increase to over $1000.

Next...this can affect your credit rating.

And...since the store did not call the cops, well....pay it or not, the store still has one year to file Criminal Charges against you. Which means Criminal Record, fingerprints, mugshot, court costs and fines, cost of a lawyer or public defender.

By now I'm sure you can see that a $250 Civil Demand is cheap compared to the other options.....

Pay the civil demand as soon as possible or the store will sue you. Even if you do pay the civil demand, the store has a year to file criminal charges against you.

I dare you to not pay the civil demand and see what happens. >=)

Off topic: MY GAWD! What a parrot lol

In New York the statute of limitations for misdemeanor theft is 2 years.

1. Sponsored Links