Default Benefit Year End Date and Continued Emergency Benefit Eligibility

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: New York State

My Benefit Year Ending date was 1/10/2010, I have been collecting UI through NYS Tier 2 Emergency Unemployment Benefit extensions (having exhausted my original 26 weeks. ) Do I need to make a new claim or just continue to certify?

In addition, if I do need to file a new claim, I was to be eligible for 14 weeks EUC (13 weeks of Tier 3 and 1 week Tier 2) as my effective date is 01/05/2009 but will I lose my eligibility due to any delay in filing a new claim?

This is all very confusing and worrisome especially since I received no indication I was to file a new claim.

Default Re: Benefit Year End Date and Continued Emergency Benefit Eligibility

The process is explained here.

Default Re: Benefit Year End Date and Continued Emergency Benefit Eligibility

Thanks for your response but that didn't address the issue of Benefits Year End Date and the impact on extension eligibility due to the need to file a new claim (poor choice of heading on my part.) The answer is that whenever someone reaches their Benefit Year End date in NYS, a new claim needs to be filed (even if the person has not had any work since original claim.) Upon filing new claim, any held payments on post-BYE certifications are released. If the person has not returned to work since their original claim and has not missed any weekly certifications and payments, the person will still be eligible for extensions respective to their Orginal Claim Effective date. Although a new effective date is given with the new claim, extensions are based on the original claim effective date. In my case, as per NYS DOL, after filing a new claim, I am eligible the remaining Tier 2 benefits and for 14 weeks EUC (13 weeks of Tier 3 and 1 week Tier 2) based on my original effective date is 01/05/2009.

1. Sponsored Links