Default Getting SSD and Requirements

I've been on SSI before for mental disability. (anxiety and depression) I have agoraphobia. It was about 10 years ago that I returned to work b/c I was able to get better. Anyhow, my anxiety started to come back about 3 years ago. I had to have somebody drive me to work and I was having panic attacks at work. About 2 years ago, I was injured on the job. I haven't worked since. During that time, I was housebound and that made my anxiety get even worse. It's been to the point where I rarely leave the house unless I'm with somebody. I'm having severe difficulty driving in the car by myself. I got a speeding ticket the other day b/c I was having a panic attack and just trying to get somewhere that I could safely pull over. I'm trying not to give up but the panic attacks are just overbearing. I haven't been to the doctor much b/c I hate to leave the house.

This leads me to the next question. I know that they like you to have documentation from the counselor which I don't have. I have been telling my GP and she has been documenting it. Is this going to be strong enough evidence? My reasoning is that I've been homebound and can't make it to a counselor. I only have made it to the GP about 2 times in the past year. I can't take any meds b/c it makes my anxiety worse. I don't know what else to do to make my case convincing. There is no way possible I could hold a job at this point.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Getting SSD and Requirements

If you have no medical or psychiatric proof of your claimed disorder, you're not in a good position to apply. Doctor up. Consider teaming up with a lawyer for your application.

You could apply without current psychiatric evidence and submit just your GP records. SSA will most likely send you for a psychiatric exam so your case will be decided on a snapshot exam that may or not be sufficient. No one here can tell you which way this is going to turn out, but you have less chance of being approved when you have limited evidence. You probably have a support person who can accompany you to appointments. It helped you in the past, it can help you again. But you have to reach out.

One thing is for sure. Not filing equals no approval. Delaying filing can reduce the amount of benefits you may some day be due.

It sounds like the GP records are sparse and stale. There's no "most likely" about the SSA requiring a psychiatric exam; if they decide that two visits to a GP over the course of a year are enough documentation to start the claims process, that will happen.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It sounds like the GP records are sparse and stale. There's no "most likely" about the SSA requiring a psychiatric exam; if they decide that two visits to a GP over the course of a year are enough documentation to start the claims process, that will happen.
    Actually, no one needs any documentation to start the claims process. Documentation is required to be approved. Can file a claim without a shred of evidence.

I have a long medical history dating back to when I was 18. As of recently though, the past 2 years I've haven't been to the doctor as much. I did go to counseling about a year and a half ago for about 3 months. I didn't have insurance so it was a limited time period that I was able to go. That could be part of the documentation.

Back when I was applying for SSI, when I was 23, I had a strong backing from my counselor. It took me a year and a half to get it. As soon as they finally sent me to their psychiatrist, I was approved.

Janke, what percentage of claims are denied the first time around. What percentage of people claiming disability with no evidence of any disability don't have to go through a medical or psychiatric examination ordered by the SSA? Splitting hairs is fun and all, but I doubt that gblvdgirl wants to be told of one in a million shots, as opposed to how to position herself to win her claim.

gblvdgirl, if you are a member of a church, you may be able to get pastoral counseling; through some church organizations there's professional counseling available on a sliding scale. (Think Catholic Social Services, Lutheran Social Services, etc.)

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Janke, what percentage of claims are denied the first time around. What percentage of people claiming disability with no evidence of any disability don't have to go through a medical or psychiatric examination ordered by the SSA? Splitting hairs is fun and all, but I doubt that gblvdgirl wants to be told of one in a million shots, as opposed to how to position herself to win her claim.

gblvdgirl, if you are a member of a church, you may be able to get pastoral counseling; through some church organizations there's professional counseling available on a sliding scale. (Think Catholic Social Services, Lutheran Social Services, etc.)
    Thanks. Actually, that is where I did get the counseling. It was through my church. I guess I could re-apply being it's been so long.

Quote Quoting Janke
    View Post
    You could apply without current psychiatric evidence and submit just your GP records. SSA will most likely send you for a psychiatric exam so your case will be decided on a snapshot exam that may or not be sufficient. No one here can tell you which way this is going to turn out, but you have less chance of being approved when you have limited evidence. You probably have a support person who can accompany you to appointments. It helped you in the past, it can help you again. But you have to reach out.

One thing is for sure. Not filing equals no approval. Delaying filing can reduce the amount of benefits you may some day be due.
    I guess it can't hurt to file. I've been through it about 15 years ago. It's like starting from scratch. UGH! It may just take longer to get while I build my case. I know that you almost always get turned down the first time. I didn't know that they'd send you to their psychiatrist right away.

1. Sponsored Links