Default Birth Mom Signed Over Rights to Step-Sister, Dad Not on Birth Certificate

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California/Oregon

My husband and I live in Oregon. My husband had a son with another women, who lives in California, but they were never sure it was his. We've had no contact with the child until last week. And the only contact we have ever had with the childs mother was for money. My husband has paid child support, for how long I am unsure. The child is now six years old. The mother resently signed her rights over to her Step-sister who then proceeded to contact us about it. We would like to take custody of the child, but are unsure of how to do that or if we have any rights as my husband is not on the birth cirtificate. We have two children of our own and are in a stable situation. The mothers step sister is encouraging us to take custody, but I am afraid the mother with try to stop us. What rights, if any, do we have with this child? And as a step-mother do I have any? Does living in another state affect any of our rights? And if we do have rights, what are the steps we need to take to get custody?

Default Re: Birth Mom Signed Over Rights to Step-Sister, Dad Not on Bc

Quote Quoting jjjkl
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California/Oregon

My husband and I live in Oregon. My husband had a son with another women, who lives in California, but they were never sure it was his. We've had no contact with the child until last week. And the only contact we have ever had with the childs mother was for money. My husband has paid child support, for how long I am unsure. The child is now six years old. The mother resently signed her rights over to her Step-sister who then proceeded to contact us about it.
    Are you SURE about this? Or did his ex just give guardianship to her step-sister.

(Mom cannot just arbitrarily relinquish her parental rights like that)

We would like to take custody of the child, but are unsure of how to do that or if we have any rights as my husband is not on the birth cirtificate. We have two children of our own and are in a stable situation. The mothers step sister is encouraging us to take custody, but I am afraid the mother with try to stop us. What rights, if any, do we have with this child? And as a step-mother do I have any? Does living in another state affect any of our rights? And if we do have rights, what are the steps we need to take to get custody?
    First, you're not going to be able to do anything - this is dad's matter and truthfully you have no rights at all.

How was child support ordered? By default?

The fact that Dad hasn't seen the child in so long is going to make his battle markedly more difficult.

1. Sponsored Links