Default Who Pays for Repairs if a Prank Damages a Car

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Colorado

My roomates and are having an argument. Here is the situation.
    a) a roomate parks in the other roomates parking spot, so the roomate who's spot it was jacks up his car. As a prank, but the car falls off the jack stand and damages the rotor.

My roomate says the car owner would have to pay all of half of it because he parked in the wrong spot. I say the guy who did the damage would have to pay. Because he did the damage, regardless of who's "spot" it was.

Any answers would be great!

Default Re: Who Pays for Repairs if a Prank Damages a Car

The idiot who jacked up the car is liable for the entire repair, and if he's unlucky could also end up with a criminal charge.

Agreed.

The prankster is responsible for the entire cost. If he doesn't pay, call the police and report the vandal.

The owner of the car can sue the people who damaged his car. Even if he parked in a spot that was not his, they had no lawful right to put his car on jacks.

I doubt criminal charges could be filed because there was no intent to cause the damage, and the nature of the action was not inherently damaging, but there might be some criminal code in CO or the local jurisdiction that could make it a crime ...though I tend to think not.

If this is as you say, then the people that pulled the prank should be liable for any repairs.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

"so the roomate who's spot it was jacks up his car"<-- this person would be responsible for the damage.
    if the car was parked in the middle of 2 spots, he could have asked the owner to move the vehicle, which he did not.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    I doubt criminal charges could be filed because there was no intent to cause the damage, and the nature of the action was not inherently damaging, but there might be some criminal code in CO or the local jurisdiction that could make it a crime ...though I tend to think not.
    In my state, doing what was done can be a few crimes, Disorderly conduct for one, and Criminal mischief for another.

In one interpretation the jacking might be conspicuous, so that a person approaching the car would have to find a crowbar to lower the jack but would not be likely to drive off. Another interpretation would be that the jacking were inconspicuous, so that the person would get in the car and try to drive off, and (let's say with a front wheel drive car) have the back wheels come crashing down when he hit the gas. Around these parts, I think a prosecutor would charge somebody for committing the second form of the "prank", and if the car falls of the jack by itself it is hard to know what the prankster had in mind - just that it caused damage to the car.

1. Sponsored Links