Default Caught Shoplifting at H&M

My question involves criminal law for the state of: california

i am 15 and currently looking for a job and to get my drivers permit. i went shopping with my cousin. it was our first time shoplifting and we got caught by a plain clothes security. we walked into h&m & concealed 3 items in our shopping bag. they added up to $39.00. since i walked out with the bags, i was considered primary and my cousin was acomplice. we gave the LP all our info, signed the tresspass thing, and since we only had our school ids, the police was called. our parents came and the officer just talked to us. i kno i am getting a civil demmand notice or whatever its called but does anybody know how much should i expect? im pretty sure i heard the police officer say it was the stores policy to prosecute? does this mean i have to go to court? if i do go to court, what can i expect as a punishment? i wrote an apology letter to the store a day later. will this help in any way? since i was the instigator, is there any way i can get my cousin out of trouble? he was 14 when we tried to steal. he is 15 now. it has been 6 days. is this going to go on my record even if its just a misdemeaner and my record is clean? wil this affect me getting my first job and drivers permit? thankkssss for helping

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at H and M

You will get a civil demand letter and it will be between $100-$500 depending on the state. It may arrive within a week or two. PAY THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
    The store does have a year to file criminal charges. Maybe they will file one against you. Maybe not.
    Don't apply for a job that invovles money, so yeah it will affect you. Not to mention your parent's credit card rating will be affected if the civil demand isn't paid.
    If you do end up in court, plea not guilty and get a public defender. DO NOT plea Guilty or you will face the MAXIMUM SENTENCE!

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at H&M

thhanks. but what happens to be the maximum sentence? i do not care if i have to do community service. and are you an attorney or have experience?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at H&M

The maximum sentence is jail time (1-2 years), and I'm not an attorney. I'm just an average user

1. Sponsored Links