Default Just Bought a Car, Don't Like, I Want to Trade It in Without Paying Sales Tax Twice

I just bought a car 5 weeks ago and I don't like it at all.

It is not officially registered yet, but the dealer did notify the DMV of the sale. The dealer assured me it was not registered because the dealer wants me to go back and trade it in through him (Unfortantely I'd rather not do this because he is trying to take advantage of me).

I'd rather just cancel the registration and get the sales tax back and trade it in through some other dealer.

The last thing I want to do is trade this car in and have to pay full sales tax again on the new car.

I live in california (paying sales tax on the difference of trade in doesn't apply here).

Default Re: Just Bought a Car, Don't Like, I Want to Trade It in Without Paying Sales Tax Twi

if you have any chance of not paying sales tax it would be through the dealer your purchased the car through rescinding the sale. If you take it any other place, you will owe the sales tax on this car and any subsequent purchase.

this dealer will have to, in effect, make it as the sale never was completed. Whether they can actually do that I do not know but assuredly, they are the only party that has a chance.

Default Re: Just Bought a Car, Don't Like, I Want to Trade It in Without Paying Sales Tax Twi

Also it seems exceedingly slim that any other buyer could resell the car as anything but a used car, whereas if the original dealer truly can prevent its being registered to you they may be able to avoid that - and, identical though they may be, used cars sell for considerably less than new.

1. Sponsored Links