Default I Have Sole Custody/No Visitation - Can Father Petition For Custody After My Death

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Virginia

Have a contract we drew up and is now court order. I have sole custody with father choosing no visitation. Father does pay considerable amount of child support. I have set up trust for Son. Is there any way to insure that father can't come out of the woodwork (seen Son one time when he came to town and sued me over the contract and lost) and gain custody in the event of my untimely death. He lives in another state and is remarried. Thanks for your thoughts ~

Default Re: I Have Sole Custody/No Visitation. Can Father Petition 4 Custody in Event of My D

No. Sorry, that's the short answer - you CAN, however, suggest a standby guardianship. But this does not remove Dad's ability to get custody should anything happen you.

Default Re: I Have Sole Custody/No Visitation. Can Father Petition 4 Custody in Event of My D

Thanks for your prompt response. I have already informed father that I am having papers drawn up regarding guardianship and informed executor. I suppose I knew the answer was "he can" come out of the woodwork. Apparently they always have that "right", but knowing it will cost a considerable amount of money will perhaps be a deterrent along with other facts surrounding case. Thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links