Default What Happens if a Minor Violates Law While on Provisional License

California

If our minor child violates any part of Section 12814.6 CVC, are we as parents in violation of any CA vehicle code, criminal code or anything like that if we knowingly allow the child to carry passengers besides those which allowed by the code?

Before anyone flames me, I KNOW it is stupid and I am exposed financially for negligently allowing the minor to do this.

I am just curious if there is any California code that nicks me too.

Default Re: What Happens if a Minor Violates Law While on Provisional License

You can read the vehicle code here; I suggest you check with your insurance agent, as your biggest risk may be that they won't cover you in the event that junior wrecks the car with a bunch of other kids inside. If we're talking about your kids, a traffic stop could trigger protective services involvement.

Quote Quoting Coronasteve
    View Post
    California

If our minor child violates any part of Section 12814.6 CVC, are we as parents in violation of any CA vehicle code, criminal code or anything like that if we knowingly allow the child to carry passengers besides those which allowed by the code?

Before anyone flames me, I KNOW it is stupid and I am exposed financially for negligently allowing the minor to do this.

I am just curious if there is any California code that nicks me too.
    CVC 14604(a) can possibly be applied.

14604. (a) No owner of a motor vehicle may knowingly allow another person to drive the vehicle upon a highway unless the owner determines that the person possesses a valid driver's license that authorizes the person to operate the vehicle. For the purposes of this section, an owner is required only to make a reasonable effort or inquiry to determine whether the prospective driver possesses a valid driver's license before allowing him or her to operate the owner's vehicle. An owner is not required to inquire of the department whether the prospective driver possesses a valid driver's license.

Since the 15-19 year old age group is 5 times more likely to be involved in a serious injury or fatal collision than any other age band, why would you take the risk that you would not be covered and that you could be criminally charged and even sued? As the father of teens myself, I will not allow my children to drive their friends while their license is provisional or even drive WITH friends who are provisional. It is foolish, illegal, and negligent.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you for your reply. I guess I didn't explain that I wasn't going to allow it or encourage the kids to do anything like this. Your answers are EXACTLY what I have been telling my wife and step-daughter, other than citing the CVC(thank you for that).

They understood my reasoning, but challenged me to find any law that might apply. Sometimes teenagers need to see something in black & white before they believe that a parent might know what he is talking about.

The issue that my insurance company might decline to cover an accident if we knowingly allowed the kid to drive in violation of a law is quite important too.

From one Dad to another, thank you for supporting the position with facts.

to
    Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    CVC 14604(a) can possibly be applied.

14604. (a) No owner of a motor vehicle may knowingly allow another person to drive the vehicle upon a highway unless the owner determines that the person possesses a valid driver's license that authorizes the person to operate the vehicle. For the purposes of this section, an owner is required only to make a reasonable effort or inquiry to determine whether the prospective driver possesses a valid driver's license before allowing him or her to operate the owner's vehicle. An owner is not required to inquire of the department whether the prospective driver possesses a valid driver's license.

Since the 15-19 year old age group is 5 times more likely to be involved in a serious injury or fatal collision than any other age band, why would you take the risk that you would not be covered and that you could be criminally charged and even sued? As the father of teens myself, I will not allow my children to drive their friends while their license is provisional or even drive WITH friends who are provisional. It is foolish, illegal, and negligent.

Well, I am glad I could help, and glad that I may have misconstrued the situation leading to the question. But, I do know parents that hold the position of "It's not a big deal" and allow their kids to drive outside the restrictions anyway.

Good luck.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links