Default Roommate Moved Out Before Lease Was Up and Won't Pay

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Washington

Hi,

I am 1 of 4 people that had been renting a house. The Landlord only wanted 1 person on the lease agreement, which didn't make sense to me at the time. We had all verbally agreed to move in for 1 year. We never signed a Roommate agreement but we had all discussed living together for a term of 1 year. About 7 months into the lease, she decided to move to Colorado. That is when it all went sour.

She told us of her plans to move out around a month before and we all agreed upon it being her responsibility to find a "Suitable" roommate. She then offered to pay for her portion of the rent until such a roommate was found. She never found a roommate before she left. We told her that we would continue to search and that she would only have to pay half of her portion of the rest (we would pay the other half until we found a roommate, so as to put some of the onus on us). We weren't able to find a roommate before the next months rent was due, so we expected that she would pay her portion. She finally did (1 month late) pay us. Now it is the 2nd month and we are not even able to get a hold of her via e-mail, text, calling. I fear that we will not be able to and so I am asking if I have any legal right to take her to small claims court.

I would really prefer that it doesn't come to that, but we also know her family somewhat well and have been thinking of contacting them. Are there any legal ramifications if I decide to do that?

Default Re: Roommate Moved Out Before Lease Was Up and Won't Pay

Who is "she" - the master tenant, or just another roommate? How's your roommate search going?

Default Re: Roommate Moved Out Before Lease Was Up and Won't Pay

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Who is "she" - the master tenant, or just another roommate? How's your roommate search going?
    "she" was just another roommate. I would like to add that there are a couple of small things she left behind, could I charge her for storage?

Also since she has reneg'd on the arrangement to pay only half of what she owed. Can I also ask for her entire portion of rent?

Thanks for your reply!

1. Sponsored Links