Default Speeding Ticket in Georgia

November 14, 2009, 10:55 p.m., I was pulled over on Moody Rd. in Houston County, Georgia by an officer from the Sheriff's Department. He gave me a speeding ticket for 70mph in a 50mph zone. On the ticket, he checked "PATROL VEHICLE" as the method by which he clocked me. (aka: pacing)

Elsewhere on the ticket "OFFENSE (Other than above)" he wrote this:

speeding in violation of code section 40-6-181 of state law
    remarks- (my telephone number), 68-40

I turned onto the road where the limit is 40. He stopped me after it turned into a 50mph zone.

Before he gave me the ticket, he said something like this:

"I pulled you over for going 68 in a 50. I followed you at about the 67-70 area. I gave you a break. The road was 40 back there and it turns into 50."

He told me that he would put "68 in a 40" in his notes.

As far as the "giving me a break" goes, I am a bit skeptical about that. There was very little traffic and I don't recall seeing headlights behind me until moments before he turned on the blue lights, so I have doubts that he was following me in the 40 zone. But, alas that may be pointless. I just have a feeling that he will testify to this.

I will try to upload an image of the ticket tomorrow. My initial court date is the Jan. 13. I live in Pulaski county.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Default Re: Speeding Ticket in Georgia

Your skepticism that the officer didn't see you speeding in the 40 mph zone isn't a defense to the officer's statement that he in fact saw you speeding. Moreover, how do you propose that the officer knew you were speeding in that zone if in fact he didn't see you?

"Your skepticism that the officer didn't see you speeding in the 40 mph zone isn't a defense to the officer's statement that he in fact saw you speeding."

Yes I realize that. That was not necessarily the point as it wasn't the charge. I just happened to elaborate on that a bit more than the rest. I just had a hunch that it might be something he would testify to. Perhaps I could use this "hunch". Perhaps not.

Little late but here's the ticket.

1. Sponsored Links