Question Extortion

Hi everyone,

I'm from South Africa, and would like to know something in general about extortion.

What happened is, I had damaged someone's car on new years eve 2009, our land lord was the one to approach me, so I told her what I've done, she said she had spoken to the owner of the car, and the person told her I will only be accountable for the damage (according to my land lord).

So today, I spoke to the owner of the car about the situation. I told him I'll cover the damage 100%, and I'm sorry about what had happened to his car, the damage was around $300. Which I have no problem with paying, because it was my fault for what had happened.

He then proceeded to say that I have inconvenienced him and that he want's an additional $300, and if I don't pay, he is going back to the police and lay a charge against me for damaging his car, even though it's been like 4 days since it's happened, and after I've told him that I will pay for the damages.

I've spoken to my farther who is in labor law/human resources, he said I should tell the guy that there is no way I'm paying, as we've agreed upon me paying for the damages and that I should go to the police to open a case about this, explaining that I've damaged someone's car, and we've agreed that I am accountable for repairing the damage and that I am now being extorted into paying an additional $300, on the grounds that I've "inconvenienced" him.

I would just like to find out from you guys what you think I should do??

Default Re: Extortion

You should speak with an attorney in your area, as this is a US legal information forum, and we have no one here familiar with South African law.

In general if this happend anywhere else. What would be the general approach be. Any advice would help.

"In general" will not be helpful for you. Laws vary from country to country, from state to state, and sometimes even from city to city.

We can't help you. You must speak with someone familiar with the laws where you live.

kewl thanks.. sorry to bother.. mods can delete my account and this thread.. obviously this isn't quite as useful as I hoped.

1. Sponsored Links