Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 1 in 10 Americans in Prison/Probation/Jail and They Just Introduced 40,000 New La

Quote Quoting jarno
    View Post
    You know I kind of looked into that back in the day cuz I have a wealthy relative who has a few screws loose and qulifies for few of those psychological disorders but then I don't know that many people who don't. Lot of kids that I went to college with are all about money and personal growth. None has comitted crimes to achieving their goals because they went about it the legal way through education and by having a job. The opportunity is there for even the low income kids to make it. Immigrants do it without necesserily going to college but instead saving and investing in small businesses. I do agree that the traits of psychopathy for example are much higher in the US then for example in Europe. People are generally happier there then they are here. Money doesn't change your status in europe as much as it does here. I can't comment on other continents/countries but europe is my second home so just about anyone you talk to can confirm that for you.
    Most Americans aren't psychopaths. Even by the highest estimates of American psychopathy, psychopaths are still a small minority. Nobody is looking to excuse psychopaths.

But from a macro, social, population perspective, it's a very legitimate question as to why psychopathy appears to be so much more prevalent in the US than elsewhere.

My theory, which you seem to agree with somewhat, is that excessive emphasis on material acquisitiveness drives many Americans to it.

Default Re: 1 in 10 Americans in Prison/Probation/Jail and They Just Introduced 40,000 New La

Quote Quoting Cosmic Zamboni
    View Post
    I think it would be more accurate to say "highest rate of diagnoses of psychopathology." Every person who walks into a psychiatrist's office in the U.S. will walk out with 1) a diagnosis and 2) a presecription.
    Much the same as every person (and by every, I mean the same thing you mean - a large number) who visits the oncologist walks out with a cancer diagnosis and a prescription. Since this is what psychiatrists do (the prescribing medicine bit), it's unsurprising that a high proportion of people they're treating might get prescribed some kind of medication.

That in no way demonstrates an actual higher rate of psychiatric disorders.
    Similarly, the rate of cancers found in people being treated for cancer doesn't imply the rate of the cancer in the general population. How fortunate for us that people who conduct studies into both topics understand statistics and probability such that they know how to take a statistic to approximate a parameter.

It just demonstrates how screwed up the psychiatric portion of the medical profession is in the U.S. The overprescribing of antidepressants, the effectiveness of which are highly questionable, is criminal.
    Please, dazzle us with your sagacious understanding of psychopharmacology.

Yes, but if you let me spank you I'll let you off the list.
    Best offer on here in a long while!

The real reason for this punishment inflation has nothing to do with America having a higher rate of psychopaths, unless maybe you count the psychopaths involved with the criminal justice system.

It has to do with fear, and our reactions to terrorism in the past decades. Instead of encouraging strength of character, our criminal justice system encourages passive aggressive behavior and running to the cops leaving us with nothing but fear in their abscence. Then no amount of punishment is adequate for anyone inflicting that fear, no matter how justified their actions really were.

Meanwhile the sick bastards causing this are getting off on the terror they inflict on regular citizens by threatening them that the law potentially interprets their every day actions as crimes.

It is an issue of an dis-illusioned, self-serving, vocal minority gathering influence for themselves over the unsuspecting citizens of this country.

Quote Quoting citizenxo
    View Post
    The real reason for this punishment inflation has nothing to do with America having a higher rate of psychopaths, unless maybe you count the psychopaths involved with the criminal justice system.

It has to do with fear, and our reactions to terrorism in the past decades. Instead of encouraging strength of character, our criminal justice system encourages passive aggressive behavior and running to the cops leaving us with nothing but fear in their abscence. Then no amount of punishment is adequate for anyone inflicting that fear, no matter how justified their actions really were.

Meanwhile the sick bastards causing this are getting off on the terror they inflict on regular citizens by threatening them that the law potentially interprets their every day actions as crimes.

It is an issue of an dis-illusioned, self-serving, vocal minority gathering influence for themselves over the unsuspecting citizens of this country.
    So, are you saying you SHOULDN'T have been arrested for chasing people with a baseball bat?

The only psychopath here appears to be you.

Yes, after watching you spam this board, I will make sure that every single post you make will include your history.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    So, are you saying you SHOULDN'T have been arrested for chasing people with a baseball bat?

The only psychopath here appears to be you.

Yes, after watching you spam this board, I will make sure that every single post you make will include your history.
    I've always wanted a thread-stalker. I feel all left out and stuff <frowny face>.

What you think you are going to scare me kid? Your story changes every time. First Abe cut someone off, Then Abe swung a bat at someone. Then Abe chased someone with a bat. Anyone can do that.

In reality Abe acted purely in self defense and did not assault anyone, but rather gave a warning. At least I am not on the board for wife beating and child abuse like you cyjeff. See? Easy.

Quote Quoting citizenxo
    View Post
    What you think you are going to scare me kid? Your story changes every time. First Abe cut someone off, Then Abe swung a bat at someone. Then Abe chased someone with a bat. Anyone can do that.

In reality Abe acted purely in self defense and did not assault anyone, but rather gave a warning. At least I am not on the board for wife beating and child abuse like you cyjeff. See? Easy.
    You know, I don't generally claim to be psychic. I think, however, that I can reasonably predict your future here on this board: nonexistent.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2