Question My Neighbor Attacked Me

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Mississippi

At approximately 12:15 am, on 1-1-10, I went to bed and went to sleep. At approximately 2:15 I heard loud knocking at my door. Assuming it was my boyfriend, I went to the door and opened it, still half asleep. I was met by my neighbor (a black female) who appeared to be on some sort of drugs and drunk, who then grabbed me by my shirt/neck and dragged me on to my porch, and proceeded to attack me, hitting and scratching me in the face, grabbing me by the hair (and pulling some out) and slamming my head onto the concrete. She threw me on to my porch furniture, hitting my head again, and slinging a chair off the porch. She kept repeating that I was ‘f***ing her husband’. I managed to get back inside my apartment after kicking her away (I was on my back at this point) and called 911 to report the assault.

She had left a voicemail on my cellphone at 1:59 am stating that she wanted my boyfriends number and referring to me as a ‘bitch’. I have transcribed the voicemail verbatim below.

“I know you hear me, I (sic) calling you. Stop playing games, bitch…. Know whats goin on. I need your mans number so I can see whats up with OUR man”.

I called 911 at 2:23 am, then again at 2:34 am because I was terrified for my safety and they had not arrived yet.

I am extremely sore all over my body, and had to miss a day of work not only because of my physical pain, but because I had to go and press charges at the courthouse in Biloxi, which took until approximately 4:45 am, and I am required to be at work at 7 (I'm a nurse and they don't look kindly on staff coming in looking like they've been in a bar room brawl, not to mention I'm finding it hard to move because I hurt so bad). The person who took my affidavit also listened to the voicemail.

This evening at approximately 8:45 pm, my boyfriend spoke with another neighbor ‘Al’, who stated that ‘Felicia’ (the assailant) had come over to his apartment immediately after the altercation, and told him that she had just ‘been in a fight with me because I was f***ing her husband’.

This is probably her 7th or 8th assault/battery charge (with a laundry list of other charges.) I've never been to court before... What should I expect?? I don't know what to do about this situation... What is the likelihood that she will go to jail? At least until I can move...

Default Re: My Neighbor Attacked Me

Stay in touch with the prosecutor and tell them you will testify in court. Hopefully police did a good job writing down the report. Oh and get treated for your injuries. It will add to the evidence.

Quote Quoting HM7380
    View Post

This is probably her 7th or 8th assault/battery charge (with a laundry list of other charges.) I've never been to court before... What should I expect?? I don't know what to do about this situation... What is the likelihood that she will go to jail? At least until I can move...

The likelihood that she will stay in jail is slim if she can post bail.

You will have to file a restraining order to keep her away from you, your residence and your place of employment.

And it would also be wise to keep away from her husband.

I think when she is araigned there's an automatic no contact order towards the victim.
    However, if in case you had something to do with her husband, they will take it easier since it was a provoked response from her side.

I have had nothing to do with her husband. He's just gotten back from overseas with the military, and she was cheating on him the entire time. I think there may be some sort of transferrence going on here, as far as thats concerned.

The policeman didn't do a very good job with his report, and seemed rather aggitated at having to be there at all. However, the person who took my statement at the courthouse immediately after it happened seemed to be much more interested after hearing the threatining voicemail.

Also, do you think it would be plausable for me to file a civil suit against her for wages lost on the day she assaulted me? I wasn't injured enough to visit a trip to the ER, but nonetheless, I had to miss work because I didn't leave the courthouse till around 4:30, and I was an emotional wreck and couldn't go in to work.

Oh, and the only contact I had with her husband was when he called me and asked me if she was seeing someone else, and wanted to meet me to talk about his situation. I told him I had no idea, that I keep to myself, and hope he figures things out, but that I was not getting involved.

Oh, and the police at the courthouse also told me that I was dealing with 'a truly crazy and delusional person' and that she's had felony assault charges before, along with many other charges. (They apparently know her well.)

I was initially cordial to them when I moved in. However, the more contact I had with them (and I never had any sort of relationship with her husband... I have a boyfriend I've lived with for 5 years), the more unstable she became. It reached a head when he came back from deployment in the Middle East a month ago, and she was concerned I'd inform him she'd been seeing another man the entire time (I'd been avoiding her/them completely by this point, and would never pour gasoline on a fire by informing a crazy persons husband that she had been sleeping around). Possibly some sort of psychological transference? At any rate, I'm considering a civil suit against her because of the mental trauma this situation has caused me. I've had multiple panic attacks, and other problems resulting from this. Would I have a case?

You would have a civil case if she broke your jaw and you had over 10k in medical bills. What are you trying to sue her for in civil court? Does she have substantial income?? do you have money on a lawyer? Will a lawyer take up your case? At this point all you have is an angry message on the cellphone, everything else is he said she said.

1. Sponsored Links