Default Former Roommate is Storing Her Furniture in My Apartment

My question involves a roommate in the State of: california.
    for the past four months i allowed a person to store her furniture and car in my apartment and garage. she was never put on the lease of the apartment. she paid half of the total apt rent through december. she is a mexican citizen and she's been in mexico since late september. in the past two weeks she revealed her obsession towards me though emails directly to me and to some of my friends also almost to the point of being a stalker.
    she was supposed to come to get her stuff out of here five days ago but she hasn't showed up or called. i have no way of reaching her but i do have a scan of her passport.
    i want her stuff out of here as soon as possible (she is not going to pay for january). what can i legally do to get her and her stuff out of my apartment and my life?

Default Re: Former Roommate is Storing Her Furniture in My Apartment

You can evict her.

You go can go thru the all the legal motions and file an unlawful detainer, yes, but I wouldn't. If you believe you've done all you feel you should do and she still isn't doing her part after all this time, then grow a pair and handle your business.

I would just box up her stuff, put it in the garage with her car, and wait a month. Yes, it's a pain in the ars, but it's much easier than going to court. If she doesn't pick up her stuff in a month, then donate it and have the car towed. Or if you have keys to her car (you should if you let her park it there), then park it on the street until she comes back.

In reality, what's she going to do when she comes back in 2 mos and her stuff's gone? I mean, seriously. She's an adult. She should be contacting you to resolve this since she promised you she'd have her stuff out by now. Admittedly, my solution isn't for the faint of heart, but the right thing is the right thing. And, legally, what you do think she would do to you? Take you to small claims? Please.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=1980-1991

follow the rules or be liable for the value to the owner.

ignore steamer unless you want to pay the person for all of the property you disposed of illegally.

1. Sponsored Links