Default Lawyer Took The Case, But Then Did Not Take It

I have a case pending in court. I got the word that my case was really iffy as drawn up so I went to a different lawyer. I was advised by lawyer #2 to go ahead and terminate lawyer #1. I gave lawyer #2 a retainer and he changed the court date and apparently spoke to the other side.

Thereafter lawyer#2 completely lost steam and would not return calls. He stalled and avoided me. I finally terminated him (which I am very certain he masterminded because he apparently couldn't figure out what to do!). Now that I have a statement from him the subject line read: "possible claim against xyz"..possible! When he took the case he said he would be my advocate and that I should fire attorney #1!. NOW #2 has tried to make it appear that he was just researching without any real commitment to me to represent me! Indeed he did not even give the court his name as my attorney when he reset the hearing..so the new hearing date went to my first lawyer.

I pressed #2 for a fee agreement two weeks after I gave him a huge chunk of money. He sent it but it said only that $XXX was non refundable and it did not say what he was going to do for me at all. In the end #2 refunded all but his "non refundable" fee and he acts like he did me a giant favor to do that.

NOW I find myself in the very bizarre position of having to explain this ALL OVE AGAIN to yet another lawyer and I have to be very careful to not come across as looney--since lawyer #2 has essentially dropped out and lawyer #1 was fired..finding a lawyer who will think I am not difficult will be next to impossible.

advise? comments?

You may wish to check with the state bar to see if the second lawyer is entitled to keep any money under the circumstances you describe.

Default mr.knowitall

I have complained to the State Bar. I guess I will also ask for fee arbitration also.

1. Sponsored Links