Angry Car Towed from Apartment Complex

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Pennsylvania

I live in Bucks County,Pa. and recently had my car towed by the manager of my apartment complex. They did not state a reason but I know it was because we had gotten into a "altercation" an hour before my car was towed.

Do they need to give notice?
    I was told even if you live here and your car is totally legal and everything that they can keep towing your car??
    This just doesnt seem right to me...
    Any advice is appreciated!
    Thank you!

Default Re: Car Towed from Apartment Complex

You have given us no information from which we could determine whether or not your car was lawfully towed. If it was, you will have to pay the towing and impound fees to get your car back, and the fees will go up every day. If you don't recover your car, it will eventually be sold to cover those costs.

This is exactly how it happened.
    They gave no reason why they towed it. I am assuming they told the towing place it is because the inspection was not up to date.There are about 20 cars in our apartment complex that are illegal big time and they have not been towed. My car wasnt towed until me and the manager got into an argument over something totally different (not about my car) and an hour and half later I go outside and my car is gone. I went to the police station and they told me that even if your car is totally legal the apartments can still tow my car without notice!!!! why would cops tell me that??!!!

Apartment complexes are private property, so they can authorize any tow they want, whether they have a reason or not. Whether or not you should be liable for the tow costs, however, depends on whether or not there was a valid reason for the tow. In your case, the inspection being out of date was plenty of reason. They're not required to search their lots for cars to tow, so other people's status of inspection is irrelevent - but when someone comes to their attention for any reason, that can most certainly cause them to look deeper into whether or not you're following ALL of the rules, and if found to be in violation, you've given them an open door. Check your lease. Bet is says something to the effect of requiring vehicles on the property to be properly maintained, registered, inspected, tagged, etc.

Nope. My lease says nothing at all about anything on our cars.

Management can STILL have it towed. Being in violation on their private property is no different than being in violation on other private property, such as the driveway of a home. If the tag or registration or inspection or any other legally required certification of the vehicle's status as legally capable of being driven is visible and not in compliance, the vehicle then falls under the category of violation of city or county ordinance. In apartment complexes, the management can have it removed. At a private residence, the city or county can have it removed (as if not in compliance it is considered a "junked or abandoned vehicle"). The bottom line is this: if the vehicle wasn't up to par (due to the inspection issue), the complex will win as they are well within their rights to remove vehicles not in compliance with law.

ok well i got it all worked out with the tow company now. they told me they didnt get a reason from the apartments to why it was being towed and only charged me the tow fee. which i am so glad because it would have been alot of money to get out. thanks for the advice.

1. Sponsored Links