Exclamation Checks Stolen by Soon to Be Ex-Husband

This happened in Florida. After my husband moved out and we seperated I opened a checking account in my name with no ties to our joint account or him. He stole a book of checks and preceeded to write 9 checks which then overdrafted my bank account, leaving myself and our then 4 year old child with no money at all! I have not been able to get the Sheriffs Office to do anything about this because all they see is that at the time we were technically still married even though this was an account which he was in no way authorized to use or have access to and he forged my name on the checks that he wrote. The business that he wrote the checks to (his former place of employment) will not press charges either because as far as they are concerned they received their money. While my bank did eventually return the funds that were taken they will not be pressing any charges either because it simply is not enough money for them to waste their time on it. Which I do understand but I do not understand the Sheriffs Office deciding not to persue the case. Is there any way to make him face the music for his actions?

Default Re: Checks Stolen by Soon to Be Ex-Husband

Quote Quoting Aubie81
    View Post
    This happened in Florida. After my husband moved out and we seperated I opened a checking account in my name with no ties to our joint account or him. He stole a book of checks and preceeded to write 9 checks which then overdrafted my bank account, leaving myself and our then 4 year old child with no money at all! I have not been able to get the Sheriffs Office to do anything about this because all they see is that at the time we were technically still married even though this was an account which he was in no way authorized to use or have access to and he forged my name on the checks that he wrote. The business that he wrote the checks to (his former place of employment) will not press charges either because as far as they are concerned they received their money. While my bank did eventually return the funds that were taken they will not be pressing any charges either because it simply is not enough money for them to waste their time on it. Which I do understand but I do not understand the Sheriffs Office deciding not to persue the case. Is there any way to make him face the music for his actions?
    The bank has made you whole and has returned the checks to the account where the checks were deposited. I'm sure that if your husband gave those checks to his employer, they will soon be looking to him to make them whole as well. Sit tight, and be patient...your thieving hubby will get his.

Default Re: Checks Stolen by Soon to Be Ex-Husband

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    The bank has made you whole and has returned the checks to the account where the checks were deposited. I'm sure that if your husband gave those checks to his employer, they will soon be looking to him to make them whole as well. Sit tight, and be patient...your thieving hubby will get his.
    The only action his employer took was to fire him after I called and told them what was going on and that the checks he was cashing were not only stolen but forged as well. I have also called the Attorney General's office and since my bank paid the checks and they were not turned over to their office due to insufficient funds they have no intention of persuing charges against him either. This all occurred six months ago and he is going to escape unscaved. How is this even possible? I have done a little research and in the state of Florida theft of $300 or more is considered a third degree felony but how can I have him charged if no one is willing to press charges? Can I press charges myself?

1. Sponsored Links