Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Do They Demand So Much Money in Civil Demand

If the cost is passed onto the consumer in the form of a $400+ average a year. How do stores justify the price of the Civil Demand? Isn't the high price of the civil demand suppose to cover the cost of shoplifting hence a $250 fine for a $10 item(example)? Yet stores still constantly remind us that it drives up the price of the product when people shoplift?

Default Re: Why Do They Demand So Much Money in Civil Demand

Most shoplifters aren't caught. How many times did you get away with it before they almost nailed you? How about your friends who steal?

It can also be quite a deterrent...

...and also, the store has to pay wages, insurance, etc. for their Loss Prevention department both at individual stores and the Corporate L.P. Also, the cost of employing lawyers.

Add in the cost of purchasing, installing, and maintenance on those surveillance cameras and monitors. The cost of the tapes....

The $435 quoted is the amount of money the average family pays.. this is the amount passed down AFTER the collection of fines.

This is the great mistake that thieves (and congressmen, for that matter) make. You aren't stealing (or taxing) from a company.

You are stealing from the other members of your community... because the business just passes the new costs along to those that actually pay for their products.

This question is so stupidly juicy that it has to be fattening.

Original poster, please "listen" to yourself talk. Please

Just like for a traffic ticket, or parking ticket, you are being charged the extra money to pay for the "enforcement" of the rules of the road. The people out there writing the tickets, their salaries, health insurance, pension, etc.

Same goes for the Civil Demand, you are helping to off-set the costs of YOUR THIEVING. No one made you steal. If you are caught shoplifting, and trust me, your day is coming sooner than you think, you need to pay for that you have done, e.g. be responsible for YOUR ACTIONS=CHOICES.

Ok. Here's an example. Let's say a candy bar costs $1.00 at a store.
    What will happen if 1,000 people steal the candy bar?
    The store loses $1000.00 (without tax).
    To make up for the loss revenue, the store will raise prices on everything. As a result, the innocent consumers will feel mad and ripped off.

When a thief is caught by a store employee, the thief will be taken to a backroom where the thief is required to sign papers and the store employee will force the thief to reveal their identity. The store employee will photocopy the thief's ID and the thief will receive a civil demand letter in the mail. If the thief fails to pay the civil demand as soon as possible, the store will sue and the amount will skyrocket like a spaceship going to the moon.

The amount on the civil demand letter is high for a very important reason. Stores use the money to pay for their security staff or purchase the latest crime fighting equipment.

Quote Quoting gratefuldead
    View Post
    If the cost is passed onto the consumer in the form of a $400+ average a year. How do stores justify the price of the Civil Demand? Isn't the high price of the civil demand suppose to cover the cost of shoplifting hence a $250 fine for a $10 item(example)? Yet stores still constantly remind us that it drives up the price of the product when people shoplift?
    what would you suggest? They mail you a bill for the candy bar, a pro-rated bill for the amount of camera time you took up, the amount of tape you were recorded on, all the relevant employees' wages, the cost of the two postage stamps involved in the civil demand, and, of course, the cost of hiring the mathematicians working on pro-rating the aforementioned crap.

Hell, paying for the mathematicians alone would cost more than $250.00.

How about if you, or the "friend" for whom you're writing this just stops being a thieving douche?

Ant29: I'm not sure I believe your reason for editing your post.

Quote Quoting ashman165
    View Post
    what would you suggest? They mail you a bill for the candy bar, a pro-rated bill for the amount of camera time you took up, the amount of tape you were recorded on, all the relevant employees' wages, the cost of the two postage stamps involved in the civil demand, and, of course, the cost of hiring the mathematicians working on pro-rating the aforementioned crap.

Hell, paying for the mathematicians alone would cost more than $250.00.

How about if you, or the "friend" for whom you're writing this just stops being a thieving douche?

Ant29: I'm not sure I believe your reason for editing your post.
    But... but... it isn't FAIR!!!!

The OP shouldn't have to pay for all the other thieves... this is America!!!

What crap.

OP, personally, I wish that civil demands were triple or more what they are.

After a certain point, theft would become far less attractive..

but, probably not. After all, what thief assumes they will be the one to get caught, right?

Just my one experience was enough to say "NO" to doing it again. $250 Civil Demand, $1500 lawyer, $300 Court Fine...

I'm amazed at how many people post here that they got caught AGAIN! DOH!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast