Default Spousal Support and California Unemployment Insurance

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I love a double whammy. I just lost my job, and I'm getting a divorce. We haven't filed the paperwork yet. I have agreed to move out of our house this month (we rent), and my ex has agreed to pay me a certain amount for support every month. The spousal support is not enough for me to live on, and jobs in my field are tight because of the lousy economy. I just started looking for work, and I have just filed for unemployment benefits.

My questions: If I get spousal support, do I have to report that as income to the Employment Development Department? If so, can it make me ineligible for unemployment compensation? I can find no information about this on their site, and that leads me to believe that spousal support doesn't matter. The informative booklet that they sent me has a section telling me what types of income to report (eighteen different types in all), but it's all work-related income--nothing about other types of income like spousal support, inheritances, court settlements, lottery winnings, what have you.

I'm getting the impression that when the EDD asks, "Did you earn any money," it means quite literally did I earn anything by working. This makes sense to me because the EDD also doesn't seem to care about my other assets and doesn't ask me how much I have in my savings account or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Spousal Support and California Unemployment Insurance

Although spousal support is taxable to you as income, it should not count as "income" for unemployment purposes in any state.

Thanks for the feedback--I suspected as much but wasn't sure.

Now I'm off to bang on my resume.

Quote Quoting archibald
    View Post
    I'm getting the impression that when the EDD asks, "Did you earn any money," it means quite literally did I earn anything by working.
    You are quite correct - it's *earned* income.

1. Sponsored Links