Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Civil Demands at Urban Outfitters

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington

So I got caught shopping at urban outfitters with $24 dollars wallet, I am a minor and first offense. Can they charge me with a civil demand. Police were involved because I was a little uncooperative but I also didnt sign anything.

I forgot to mention that the wallet was recovered no damage at all. I have not recieved a civil demand yet and I was not told by the cops that I was going to recieve any charges.

But by reading all of these other civil demand threads I wanted to know if they have the right to still charge me with a civil demand considering, I didnt sign anything, im a minor, and its a first offense.

Default Re: Civil Demands at Urban Outfitters

Quote Quoting luckyandmickey
    View Post

But by reading all of these other civil demand threads I wanted to know if they have the right to still charge me with a civil demand considering, I didnt sign anything, im a minor, and its a first offense.
    Of COURSE they have the right. You stole from them. They will most likely send you a civil demand. You can't fight a civil demand unless you are found not guilty in a criminal trial. You can choose not to pay but that is your choice. The civil demand is the least important piece of this situation, IMO. Aren't you worried about the criminal charges?? This can follow you for life if you don't make the right moves NOW.

And you better tell your parents 'cause they're gonna find out.

My parents know about this.

And why would they do a criminal charge?

Because shoplifting is a criminal offense. I would have thought that was obvious.

Because POLICE were involved, yes, you are charged in Criminal Court for Retail Fraud. You were arrested and released on personal recognizance.

In addition to the Civil Demand, you can expect to go to court (watch for the court date to arrive in the mail), you can expect court fines and fees. You can expect that after your court date, you will be told to report to your state police post for fingerprinting and mugshot.

You should ask your parents to get you an appointment with a Criminal Defense Attorney. And best to tell your parents now - you will be needing them to appear in court with you.

but the police told me i wouldnt have to go to court?

"I forgot to mention that the wallet was recovered no damage at all. I have not recieved a civil demand yet and I was not told by the cops that I was going to recieve any charges."
    I meant to say wasnt.

Quote Quoting luckyandmickey
    View Post
    but the police told me i wouldnt have to go to court?

"I forgot to mention that the wallet was recovered no damage at all. I have not recieved a civil demand yet and I was not told by the cops that I was going to recieve any charges."
    I meant to say wasnt.
    Where?

If the police were called, you should have been charged. Do you have a court date?

You chances of receiving a civil demand of around $250 from Urban Outfitters approaches 100%.

i havent recieved anything yet.

Just because the police were called does NOT mean the person was charged with anything. There is no mention of going to jail or posting a bond.

The police did not witness the offense and generally don't and can't arrest anyone on the spot unless the shoplifter admits to the offense. They will do a report and it will be reviewed by a prosecutor who will determine whether it should go before a judge for a warrant.

You will get a civil demand which is entirely separate from any possible criminal charges and penalty. It will end up being a very expensive wallet and you don't even get the wallet.

You will eventually. It could take a couple weeks to a couple months, depending on the stores backload.

Same with the notice for your court date - depends on how backed up the court is with other criminals.

The stores don't call police just for the heck of it. And once a police officer is called out somewhere, you bet there is a report of it. Also, since you were "a bit uncooperative", that will be noted on the LP's report, as well.

I bet in the backroom you signed a few pieces of paper, they copied your identification, and took a photo of you and the wallet, right?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast