Default Overtime Pay

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Missouri

I work for a company where we get paid twice a month, the 7th and 22nd. Pay periods are from 1-15th, 16th-end of the month. Just trying to find some information out so I can check my paystub out on January 7th of 2010 when I get paid.

Was trying to figure out how overtime pay works when the weeks are cut off from the 15th-16th, etc. The situation is that I worked 20 hours total on the 14th and 15th. The new period starts on the 16th where I worked 48 hours from the 16th-19th, which is still in the same week. First day of week for us is Sun and goes through that next Sat for OT. I know I get the first 20 hours on the 22nd paycheck. For the 7th paycheck in Jan, will I get 40 hours straight pay and 8 hours OT pay, or do I get 20 hours straight pay and 28 hours OT? Wasn't sure how that totally worked and just wanted to know ahead of time for when I do check my paystub in January. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Overtime Pay

if your "pay week" is Sun through Sat, then you would get (for that week total) 40 hours straight and 28 hours OT. It would be split as you listed in the second situation. 20hrs straight on first paycheck and then on second 20 hrs straight and 28 ot.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Just heard someone before mention something, so figure I better be safer than sorry later on when I look at my paystub. Is there any sort/specific documentation I can have just in case I get grief later if is wrong on my paystub. Thanks for your help

I do not know much about this area...

But...

Do you have a timecard you punch? Or computer that you enter your sign in/sign on everyday?

If I had any doubts....I would keep a small calendar and write my daily hours in it. It's not legal evidence...but atleast it would help narrow down a specific date in case of a difference....

Yes use a timecard to punch in and out daily. Also next to that have a timesheet we write on daily with those times, in which they take down each day and put in the back office. Basically we have a part time secretary who deals with the numbers and has to email/fax (not sure how they do it exactly) the payroll over to the corporate office. Not too worried about the actual hours, more so of how they split the hours up during split weeks, etc.

This is a same secretary who has forgotten to put vacation hours on one of my co-workers checks, and asked if they wanted those 5 days on next check or wanted a check for those hours in a week. That is tip of iceberg. Just kind of waiting few months out til she is gone and corporate will probably deal with the numbers hands on.

With a semi-monthly pay period, you are almost always going to have "layover" hours at the end of the pay period. In other words, the week ending on XX day does not correspond with the pay period ending date. In that case, the employer can't figure out how much overtime you will have because the defined workweek isn't completed yet.

I've been in payroll for many years now and I still hate semi-monthly pay frequencies for nonexempt employees.

1. Sponsored Links