Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What Should the Drinking Age Be in the U.S

After reading this thread (http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91469) I thought this would be a good topic to make here.

As most of you are already aware, the drinking age in every state is 21 due to the federal government threatening to rescind highway funds from states which have a minimum age younger than 21, but it's not a national law, per se.

What some people may not be aware of is that not every state prohibits alcohol consumption or every case of possession by a person under 21 (Source: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91469).

Now, the drinking ages around the world vary, but America has one of the highest, and the majority set the age at 18 (though in practice the age may be much lower or nonexistant). Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age (yes, wikipedia, but this is fairly well known anyway).

Anyways, there is almost always a minor debate about this going on, especially when college students and administrators get involved. I was wondering what you think.

(The following are just questions to get people thinking. No need to answer each one.)

What do you think the best arguments for and against a higher/lower drinking age are?

Do you think the drinking age should be lower? higher? If so, what age?

Do you think a system that isn't based totally on age might be both feasible and superior to the system we have now?

between here and there, but you can't here from there

Default Re: What Should the Drinking Age Be in the U.S

Minimum age should be 36. At that point, you already have kids and should have a steady job and life. You are at an age that you can see right from wrong and be more aware of how alcohol affects you and the people around you. You will be less likely to overindulge and more likely better focused on life.

Or, we could have an age limit lower than what we already have and we can have more people alcohol dependent who don't care about anything else other than getting drunk and acting afool.

An age-based system is the better option. By suggesting otherwise, you open the possibility of people at any age saying "I am old enough and mature enough to drink as I please" and the reality being these very same people aren't old enough to know how to properly use toilet paper.

Expanding that, I am in favor of "across the board" uniformity of laws and statutes. Each and every stqate should have the exact same laws, statutes, codes and penalities to eliminate and confusion or discreptancy of law as they vary from state to state and people move from state to state. What is ok here is not ok there and may be ok somewhere else if certain conditions are met. Its all BS.

Same age limit, each and every state. Done, no confusion.

I live in Ohio and many years ago there was a product called 3/2 beer, meaning it had an alcohol content of 3.2 % as opposed to 6 or 7, and 18 yr olds could purchase it. They did away with it.

There should be a uniform age, but not because big brother says so, true, it is not a national minimum drinking age, see South Dakota v. Dole, but this is a good idea, as those who lived on border states that had a lower age would just drive over to buy it there.

Of course as we all know, an age restriction means nothing legally, if it did, most would adhere to it, and most do not.

The penalties need to be more punitive in nature, such as driver license suspensions, being kicked out of college etc. The thought of getting a small fine and probation, if any, is NOT a deterrent. A Criminologist will tell you there is only a small population of actors that consider punishment as a deterrent though, as in the cases of the Withdrawal or Renunciation from a crime.

There are over 15 million alcoholics in this country and millions more who are classified as abusers. There is no reason why the age of 21 should not be a minimum age.

I NEVER drank in my life and never intend to, period.

Quote Quoting zedex
    View Post
    Minimum age should be 36.
    I love your sense of humor!

But in all seriousness, the drinking age should be lowered to 18. If you're old enough to die in a war, you're mature enough to drink a beverage made from grapes, hops, barley, or corn.

If the minimum drinking age were set to an age after which most people have kids, well... assuming it were effectively enforced there would probably be a lot fewer kids in the world.

I'm for setting the age by a simple formula: blueeagle's age +1.

I could probably be persuaded to use a more complicated formula, such as ((blueeagle's age +1 or - 1) if the resulting figure is above 21); but blueeagle's age cohort will have to suffer for his sins.

Quote Quoting blueeagle
    View Post
    I love your sense of humor!

But in all seriousness, the drinking age should be lowered to 18. If you're old enough to die in a war, you're mature enough to drink a beverage made from grapes, hops, barley, or corn.
    OR! do you think you should raise the "adult" age in general to 21 to die in a war/ jail/ legal contracts, etc?

and driving to 18?

In Germany, the driving age is 18 - and you're on a probationary license until you're 21. The Germans are very clear to their young people that driving is a privilege, not a right, and you're expected to be exceedingly responsible about it, what with there being no speed limit on the Autobahn and all.

The drinking age is 16 in the pubs, but they'll serve you if you can see over the counter and your parents are with you. If you start acting like a drunken asshat, they'll cut you off and bounce you out. You need to be 18 to buy bottled booze - the reasoning being that if you're buying bottles, you're not going to be supervised, so it's best to leave that to legal adults.

I've no problem with both the driving age and drinking age being set to 18 here. If you're old enough to enter into a contract, you're old enough to have a beer after work.

Quote Quoting THEAMAZINGCHAN
    View Post
    OR! do you think you should raise the "adult" age in general to 21 to die in a war/ jail/ legal contracts, etc?

and driving to 18?

Hmmm.... Interesting proposal! It could work.

just outlaw it entirely!!!!!

Never mind. I just heard they already tried that and it didn't work.

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    I live in Ohio and many years ago there was a product called 3/2 beer, meaning it had an alcohol content of 3.2 % as opposed to 6 or 7, and 18 yr olds could purchase it. They did away with it.

There should be a uniform age, but not because big brother says so, true, it is not a national minimum drinking age, see South Dakota v. Dole, but this is a good idea, as those who lived on border states that had a lower age would just drive over to buy it there.

Of course as we all know, an age restriction means nothing legally, if it did, most would adhere to it, and most do not.

The penalties need to be more punitive in nature, such as driver license suspensions, being kicked out of college etc. The thought of getting a small fine and probation, if any, is NOT a deterrent. A Criminologist will tell you there is only a small population of actors that consider punishment as a deterrent though, as in the cases of the Withdrawal or Renunciation from a crime.

There are over 15 million alcoholics in this country and millions more who are classified as abusers. There is no reason why the age of 21 should not be a minimum age.

I NEVER drank in my life and never intend to, period.
    I remember, vicariously, that during Prohibition, similar logic was used. It is no wiser now than it was then.

It's patently stupid to suggest that because some people lack the capacity to use something responsibly, an entire class of people should be excluded from it. Incidentally, look at the statistics in countries where they're far less restrictive about drugs and alcohol with respect to the rates of abuse and addiction to either of those, and then try again.

I suppose your love of liberty is constrained to only things you want people to be free to do, the rest of them can **** off, huh? If anything, you should well-know by now that the idea behind the constitution is to restrain the government from imposition on its peoples. Apparently, so long as you have a large enough bug up your ass, you're ready to throw all of that out the window.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast