Default Freeloading Roommate - hasn't paid rent since 2nd month

My boyfriend, his "best" friend, and I moved into a house together last October (2005). The friend quit his job and quit paying bills (which we decided in a verbal agreement would all be split 3 ways) the second month that we were in the house. We still have until the end of september/beginning of october until the lease is up. I can't take it anymore. Last month I had to empty my savings account and borrow $200 from my mother to pay rent and bills. I can't afford groceries anymore, I can barely afford to put gas in my car to get to work everyday. Early last month, my sis and her boyfriend came over for dinner. Our roommate got drunk and went crazy. He tried fighting my boyfriend, my sisters boyfriend, and even took a swing at my sister. Then he started to take his aggression out on our belongings, punching our surround sound speakers (putting one of them through the wall) then went outside and punched the mailbox. We called the cops and he went to jail for 2 days. None of my friends or family will come over to my house now because they are afraid of him. And i don't blame them, I'm scared too. But most of all, we need him out so that we can get someone else in that will pay rent. He recently started a job but is spending his money on alcohol. We have spoken to the landlord but he can't take him off of the lease. And i really cannot afford this anymore...any suggestions?

Default Re: Freeloading Roommate - hasn't paid rent since 2nd month

Consider trying to get a restraining order against him on the basis of his violent and criminal behavior, such that he has to live elsewhere.

Restraining orders cost money. And I would have to take off work twice (once to file and then once to go to court) to get a protective order (which is free). Not to mention the fact that he went to jail March 5, which makes it 2 months now so it's harder to get a restraining order. Now he just spends money on himself, mostly alcohol, and uses our stuff. I have even gone so far as to store food, laundry detergent, canned sodas, etc. in my closet so he cant use it. But he's at home all day and runs up electric and water. Last month our water bill showed that we used 29,000 gallons of water. A normal household (at least in out area) uses 5,000. He runs water all of the time and keeps the A/C freezing. I just want to get rid of him. Any other suggestions?

Things which you can do which are free, don't involve the court, and don't take any time to accomplish? Nothing comes to mind.

The protective order itself is free. But there are court fees, which he would have paid for if I won. And even if I lost, it's still cheaper than a restraning order.

A personal protection order is a type of restraining order.

1. Sponsored Links