Default What To Do If a Security Deposit Is Not Returned

First of all, let me preface this by saying it is an MBS property and I have read the other thread talking about all the problems. I understand lots of people are in the same boat, I just need to figure out what to do next.

I moved out on February 28th, had given the appropriate notice, and provided them w/my forwarding address. On April 3rd I contacted the apt mgmt office and they told me they don't deal w/deposit issues and referred me to the Houston corporate office. Houston corporate referred me to Amy in New Orleans. Amy seems nice enough, said she had 'just started' on the job, which I am now seeing probably isn't true, and that she'd get back to me. I've called her several times since, and still no new info.

I have not even received the form that tells what they intend to deduct from the deposit, and I do think it is possible they will deduct something. What do I need to do now? What do I request? How do I request it? What laws do I reference?

Default deposits

You can contact the HAA and lodge a complaint. You are eligable to receive 3 times the amount of your deposit if you gave them a forwarding address and information on how to contact you. The HAA can help you learn what else needs to be done. I would send a certified letter to the company and make your demands in writting to Cover Yourself

If you complied with the lease, provided a forwarding address, and left the apartment in good condition, you should get most or all of your security deposit back.

Under Texas law your landlord is supposed to return the security deposit within 30 days, or provide a written accounting explaining why part or all of the security deposit is not being returned. Has that thirty day period expired yet?

If a landlord wrongfully fails to refund your security deposit, through a legal action you may be entitled to up to three times your deposit, plus $100 and any court costs or attorney’s fees you incur.

Default Re: What To Do If a Security Deposit Is Not Returned

MBS corporate office 504-836-5075.

MBS Companies
    One Galleria Blvd.
    Suite 1950
    Metairie, LA 70001

1. Sponsored Links