Default My Girlfriend Was Married, Divorced, and Asked to Leave

She was married to a man who was a US citizen and received her rights to stay in the country. She divorced but after her and her husband decided to throw away all of her mail she never received the paperwork she needed to update her records and was deported at the end of 2007. She hasn't left yet as she has been back and fourth to numerous immigration lawyers supporting themselves with her case and giving the same ambiguous advice. We've been dating long enough for me to know that this is the woman I want to marry but as you can understand, this little deportation issue makes matters quite difficult.

I will be enlisting into the United States armed forces in March of this year but I plan to marry her before then. I'm wondering what my chances would be of ever living a happy normal life with her as a U.S citizen, and if they are slim to none, would it be possible still for me to marry her and have the Navy station me in Japan or somewhere over seas to wait out her re-entry into the United States? Any advice, or similar stories of experience will help me to at least gain insight as to what my next move should be. Thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: My Girl Friend Was Married, Divorced, and Asked to Leave

This isn't a case of simple overstay, given that she's been ordered to leave, so getting married is not going to make her problem go away. Had it been merely an overstay, you could have married, filed the I-130 and I-485 and been on your merry way.

YOU need to consult with an immigration attorney separate from the one she is discussing her deportation with to get your options sorted out.

would it be possible still for me to marry her and have the Navy station me in Japan or somewhere over seas to wait out her re-entry into the United States?
    You can ASK to be stationed in a particular place, but understand that you go where the Navy TELLS you to go, and if they don't have a place for you in your preferred duty location, they'll send you where you're needed.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: My Girl Friend Was Married, Divorced, and Asked to Leave

You need to determine if her situation impacts any security clearances you might need.

Default Re: My Girlfriend Was Married, Divorced, and Asked to Leave

Quote Quoting achangedman
    View Post
    I will be enlisting into the United States armed forces in March of this year but I plan to marry her before then. I'm wondering what my chances would be of ever living a happy normal life with her as a U.S citizen, and if they are slim to none, would it be possible still for me to marry her and have the Navy station me in Japan or somewhere over seas to wait out her re-entry into the United States? Any advice, or similar stories of experience will help me to at least gain insight as to what my next move should be. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Not legal, but personal advice. Run from this woman as though she has the plague. She already has used one other man to stay in this country and dumped him when she didn't think she needed him. You are dealing with a con woman. She currently is the perfect woman for you because she is acting the way you want a woman to act. She will become a very different woman shortly after marriage if you make that mistake. As a former military officer, I have more experience than I wish I had in trying to help my troups after they got themselves into similar situations.

1. Sponsored Links