Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Will County Jail Keep Me For My Whole Sentence

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Iowa

I was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana (5.9 grams) and opium (1.9 grams). I was booked into the county jail and was in a holding cell for 22 hours before i saw the magistrate and was then placed into general population for 17.5 hours until i was bonded out.I have already attended all my court dates.i got deferred judgement on the opium charge and was sentenced to 31 hours in jail.Why did they only give me 17.5 hours credit for time served? did that almost whole day in a holding cell count for nothing?! and also when i go in to serve the 31 hours do you think they will keep me the whole time? it's not a real crowded jail but i hear that jails would rather let you out early on a really short sentence because it saves them money.can anyone help me clear any of this up? it would be much appreciated. i have no prior criminal record but for all of this i got 31 hours in jail,fines, license revoked for 6 months, and will be starting probation upon release from jail.oh yeah and i have no prior criminal record.thanks for the help!

Default Re: Will County Jail Keep Me My Whole Sentence

did that almost whole day in a holding cell count for nothing?!
    Yep, that's what it counted for. They can keep you in a holding cell for 24 hours til they figure out what they're going to do with you.

and also when i go in to serve the 31 hours do you think they will keep me the whole time?
    What we think is irrelevant. They CAN keep you the entire time.

and also will they drug test me when i go in to serve my sentence? and what ARE the chances of them keeping me the WHOLE 31 HOURS??

and also will they drug test me when i go in to serve my sentence?
    Once again, we cannot tell you what they WILL do, only what they CAN do. They CAN drug test you and they CAN hold you for the entirety of your sentence.
    and what ARE the chances of them keeping me the WHOLE 31 HOURS??
    This isn't Vegas, it doesn't operate on "chances". If I were you, I would expect to be held for the "whole 31 hours". Lose the drama, pal. It's a little over a day, not a life sentence.

Default Re: Will County Jail Keep Me For My Whole Sentence

Are you really crying about a whole 31 hours? Come on now. It would be one thing if it was 31 months or even days. Just dont sleep for a day or two, go in, and plop your butt down in your bunk and sleep. Time will go bye fast. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

Quote Quoting jason9019
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Iowa

I was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana (5.9 grams) and opium (1.9 grams). I was booked into the county jail and was in a holding cell for 22 hours before i saw the magistrate and was then placed into general population for 17.5 hours until i was bonded out.I have already attended all my court dates.i got deferred judgement on the opium charge and was sentenced to 31 hours in jail.Why did they only give me 17.5 hours credit for time served? did that almost whole day in a holding cell count for nothing?! !
    If you are arrested without a warrant, and I presume you were, and held without bail, the federal constitution mandates an arraignment/probable cause hearing within 48 hours. This was satisfied. Time served is a sentencing issue and unless directly specified by law to give credit for ALL, not known here, feel fortunate you got any credit.

Dude, as Missy stated, it's only 31 hours! I know one day in jail feels like an eternity, but tough it up! Look at it this way, if you go in Monday morning, you'll be out in plenty of time for Tuesday evening supper!

Quote Quoting Arf417
    View Post
    Are you really crying about a whole 31 hours? Come on now. It would be one thing if it was 31 months or even days. Just dont sleep for a day or two, go in, and plop your butt down in your bunk and sleep. Time will go bye fast. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.
    Good idea, but those last few hours are the longest!

"and also will they drug test me when i go in to serve my sentence"

Quite possible. If you're worried...well....simply don't do drugs!

You got probation too...guess what...that probation can include Random Drug Testing. So I'd suggest getting off the drugs NOW.

31 hours or 13.5 hours? (31 minus 17.5 time served.)

Meh. That's not the end of the universe. Most of the people there are probably serving a lot longer. (Although admittedly, most of them are probably there for real crimes; arresting someone for mere possession is outrageous.)

I suspect it's 48 hours with credit for time served.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast