Default Child Support Arrears in Texas

My x husband and I have been divoriced 10 years ago. At that time he was ordered to pay $250.00 a month in support and carry medical support. Pretty standard orders. Since this time we have gone to court with the AG's office in 2002 and at this time he was $8,000 behind and my x had an attorney and I was not able to hire one. My x walked away with a decrease in intrest and a slap on the wrist. Now I have a court date again with the AG's office in the county where he lives and I live about 12 hours away. Also he has filed a case to try to gain custody of my daughter. I hired an attorney for this case and the attorney had filed a motion to transfer but had done it 10 days to late and the motion was denied. And because I hired an attorney in the county i live in and spent any bit of extra money i had I am not able to hire one for the county he lives in. My question is what kind of a chance do I stand in court again without an attorney and will a judge take in to consideration the amount of money he has never paid in the child custody case?

Default Re: Child Support Arrears in Texas

We can't answer that for you. We don't know you or your capacity to represent yourself. Try posing the question to your lawyer.

Thanks, I was just trying to see if anyone could give some hope I guess...

I see time and time again from lawyers that when custody is involved you want to be sure you have representation. If you were to lose, you may kick yourself for not spending the money.

Its hard to know what information will be considered by the court. Even if a judge were to get pissed off by what your ex did, the judge still has to consider the law and rule accordingly.

1. Sponsored Links