Default Accepted Verbal Offer for One Job but Waiting on Other Desired Job Offer

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Kansas

I have verbally accepted an offer for a job on the phone and I meet with HR to do paperwork, etc. tomorrow, but I am waiting to hear from another job that I interviewed for that I like better. They were to make their decision today but had more interviews that came up last Friday. Now they won't make their decision until Wednesday. What do I do? Should I go to the HR meeting tomorrow with the job offer I accepted verbally and just not sign anything expressing that I need more time to think about it, in hopes of getting an acceptance from the other more desirable job, or should I just accept the position in writing that I already verbally accepted? I know that if I accept in writing and then renege it would be seriously more unethical than just asking for more time to consider the position after I have already verbally accepted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Default Re: Accepted Verbal Offer for One Job but Waiting on Other Desired Job Offer

You have no legal obligation to ask for more time to think about things, nor will you be legally required to show up for work on Day 1 just because you completed the paperwork today.

Default Re: Accepted Verbal Offer for One Job but Waiting on Other Desired Job Offer

You are correct that it is an ethical issue, not a legal issue. In addition to that, you have your professional reputation to uphold. Realizing that it is already noon in Kansas, this may come a little late for you. But, my recommendation would be that you contact HR and request to reschedule your meeting to complete forms to Thursday.

1. Sponsored Links