Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Is It Legal to Receive Tickets when You're Parked in Your Own Driveway

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    well, the courts are not going to score you and they don't care what you claim about your intelligence. They are going to apply the law and from what you posted, you are guilty for the FTY and you already admitted to guilt concerning the failure to stop at a sign.

yes, I do know of proof it is legally acceptable but I'll let you look the fool in court. Courts just love to hear some wise ass come in and make wild claims that are nowhere close to being valid. A good laugh is good for the soul and good for the heart.

and as to no law allowing it? You know very little about law. Laws, for the greatest part, are not written to allow. Our laws are written as restrictions.

as an example; if you want to run around in a little pink dress, there is no law that prohibits. If you want to drive 150 mph on a public street, there are laws that prohibit it.

In the case of the police' actions, there is no law disallowing the action taken and there are court decision supporting the action taken so you take it how you want but regardless of how you take it, you are wrong if you believe the police do not have the right to ticket you in your driveway.

for a test, go out and speed ridiculously fast past a cop. Speed home and run into the house.

When he is either allowed into the house or forces his way into your house to arrest you, use your "home free" belief as a defense and see where that lands you.
    Looks like I had the last laugh . Both tickets were completely dismissed on the spot by the chief himself today! It pays to have family know certain select cops rather well, especially in such a tiny and clique-ish town . This couldn't have been a better day!

Thank you all for any help you could provide while I was panicking lol. And yes, a good laugh is certainly AMAZING for the heart and soul! This weekend's gonna be a huge celebration with me and a few friends over this. GOtta have a toast!

Default Re: Is It Legal to Receive Tickets when You're Parked in Your Own Driveway

Ah, so victory was not obtained by virtue of legal argument (which was non-existent for the stop sign violation and the issue of being detained in your driveway) but, instead, achieved by virtue of the "good ol' boy" system. Gotcha!

We may do things different in California, but such a dismissal by fiat is unlawful in my state.

And I thought it was the deep south that engaged in such incredulous activity ... I stand corrected.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting PD187540
    View Post
    This weekend's gonna be a huge celebration with me and a few friends over this. GOtta have a toast!
    Don't get caught drinking and driving!!!

Arrow Re: Is It Legal to Receive Tickets when You're Parked in Your Own Driveway

I want the OP to break another law - like robbing a bank or something GOOD - and then making it as far as his garage before getting tackled by the police. Then we can see how well his 'home is a haven' defense really works.

A shame the ticket was dismissed - I was looking forward to the youtube viewing.

sounds like an OG epiphany to me!

Quote Quoting PD187540
    View Post
    This actually may lead to the establishment of a new traffic law precedent. I'd bet my life on it
    Many people have tried the running home and calling SAFE approach before ... it doesn't work. You have a legal requirement to stop when the police light you up. With the logic of your thinking I could commit any crime and so long as I made it onto my property before stopping for the police I could call "Kings X" and no one could come get me.

Quote Quoting SMBI
    View Post
    Many people have tried the running home and calling SAFE approach before ... it doesn't work. You have a legal requirement to stop when the police light you up. With the logic of your thinking I could commit any crime and so long as I made it onto my property before stopping for the police I could call "Kings X" and no one could come get me.
    i think im going to try this on my way home today...hmmmm what shall i do...???

OLLY, OLLY OXEN FREE - "If you've ever wondered about the origins of this chant - used to call in all players at the end of a game of hide-and-seek - be advised that the experts only have a partial answer to your lifelong puzzlement. Word sleuths are fairly certain that the 'oxen' (or 'octen') in the call is simply a childish corruption of 'all in.' The rest remains a mystery." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).

I have actually had arguments with people about what this phrase actually is. I always thougt it was "Ollie Ollie oxen free!!", but one of my close friends informed me that I was an idiot and that the phrase was really "Everybody all come free". So perhaps that is at least that is one variation you can add to the list.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Don't get caught drinking and driving!!!
    Some of the best free legal advice you can get! But I would change it slightly and remove the 'get caught' part, simply don't ever drink and drive period.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Ah, so victory was not obtained by virtue of legal argument (which was non-existent for the stop sign violation and the issue of being detained in your driveway) but, instead, achieved by virtue of the "good ol' boy" system. Gotcha!

We may do things different in California, but such a dismissal by fiat is unlawful in my state.

And I thought it was the deep south that engaged in such incredulous activity ... I stand corrected.
    You sound bitter.... why is that?? I guess in your state the only people who are supposed to be allowed to act as if they are above the law is those employed by the state (i.e. cops, DAs, etc.)

Quote Quoting EWYLTJ
    View Post
    You sound bitter.... why is that?? I guess in your state the only people who are supposed to be allowed to act as if they are above the law is those employed by the state (i.e. cops, DAs, etc.)
    Bitter? Nope. The OP had opined about how it was illegal to cite him in his driveway. Instead of relying on the legality, he relied on rubbing elbows with someone who could do him a favor ... sounds like he was not all that confident in his legal standing. I merely pointed out that in California such a dismissal by the Chief executive of the agency would be unlawful and expressed my surprise that such activity would be permitted in what is sometimes considered a more civilized part of the nation when compared to the "good ol' boy" practices of the south.

Please note that I never said that people employed by the state were above the law.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast