Default Forgot to Pay for Merchandise

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I went to a Sears department store today, bought an item for about $12, got distracted, and walked out with the unpaid item. As I was driving home, I realized I had forgotten to pay, so I went back with the item and paid for it. I don't think anybody noticed anything. Could there be any legal consequences for me? If they have security cameras at the store, could I be charged with shoplifting? I still have the receipt and the unopened item.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Forgot to Pay for Merchandise

Quote Quoting 31415927
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I went to a Sears department store today, bought an item for about $12, got distracted, and walked out with the unpaid item. As I was driving home, I realized I had forgotten to pay, so I went back with the item and paid for it. I don't think anybody noticed anything. Could there be any legal consequences for me? If they have security cameras at the store, could I be charged with shoplifting? I still have the receipt and the unopened item.
    Thanks.
    Hang on to the receipt (just in case) but if you weren't stopped heading out of the store, in the parking lot, or when pulling away; it appears that no one noticed. If they had, you would have been restrained at the door on your way out.

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about but be a little more careful in the future. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Oh, and as a side note; thank you for your honesty and taking care of this! Kudos.

1. Sponsored Links