Default Court Fees and Costs

I am not sure I am in the correction section, however, if I am not can someone please direct me......

I am in Rowlett, Texas. I got a seat belt ticket which the municipal court is charging me $50 for. I know the state law says no less then $25 and no more then $50 - so they are charging me the max.

My question concerns the court fee's / cost. They are charging me $96 in court fee's.

I have read statutes, but don't understand how they can charge so much.

Anyone know where there is a breakdown of what they can charge me for a seat belt ticket?

Thank you

daveofgv

Default Re: Court Fees and Costs

It's not unusual for court costs and fees to meet or exceed a statutory fine.

Default Re: Court Fees and Costs

To me, it just a principal of the matter. I know in Missouri seatbelt tickets are $10 flat. They can not charge court costs....

Here in Texas I see the law states "no less the $25 and no more the $50" I called the state reps office and was giving the statutes on court costs. I dont see anywhere were they can charge so much. Most of the items I am being charged for apply to other fines and not seatbelts. Since municipalities can not make up their own costs and all cost are state regulated I don't see (and they wont show me) why I should pay that much......

Its basically, we will not show you what we are charging you, but if you don't pay it you will have a warrant for your arrest. LEGALIZED EXTORTION!!!!

1. Sponsored Links