Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Wink Re: Unfair DUI Laws

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    Hey AD! Come back when your complete sentence ability returns.
    man shut up

Default Re: Unfair DUI Laws

Your point? This is a binary condition where each event is independent of any other event. How this applies to a fatal collision is not immediately obvious. Probably because the condition isn't binary and the events aren't independent.
    I was responding to a post in which it was asserted that probabilities of drunken driving crashes are taken cumulatively. I was pointing out that event probabilities can be viewed cumulatively or independently, and that where you are on an event chain affects probability of outcomes.

The condition can be viewed in binary terms, like "drunken drive without accident" vs. "drunken drive with accident." And each drunken drive is independent of all the others.

There is no likewise to it.
    Yes there is. You see, I was making an analogy between probabilities of results in coin tossing and drunken driving. I was using the uncontroversial proposition that coin tossing events can be viewed cumulatively or independently to demonstrate how the same proposition can be applied to drunken driving. Hence, "likewise."

Quote Quoting Baz744
    View Post
    I was responding to a post in which it was asserted that probabilities of drunken driving crashes are taken cumulatively. I was pointing out that event probabilities can be viewed cumulatively or independently, and that where you are on an event chain affects probability of outcomes.

The condition can be viewed in binary terms, like "drunken drive without accident" vs. "drunken drive with accident." And each drunken drive is independent of all the others.

Yes there is. You see, I was making an analogy between probabilities of results in coin tossing and drunken driving. I was using the uncontroversial proposition that coin tossing events can be viewed cumulatively or independently to demonstrate how the same proposition can be applied to drunken driving. Hence, "likewise."
    Now is when I should like to suggest you take an introductory statistics class. You cannot model the toss of a coin with a cumulative distribution because coin tosses are independent binary (though not technically binary, we neglect the chance of the coin landing on its side) events. This is not a cumulative probability. The probability of getting heads on the nth trial irrespective of how many billions of trials have previously come is still .5.

A drunk driving collision is not an independent event to the extent that the probability of being in the collision depends on previous factors: degree of inebriation, familiarity with the path taken, weather conditions, other drivers and so on. This shares nothing in common with a coin toss. That is to say you're claiming that a drunken driving collision is an independent binary event: it either happens or not. That doesn't make the probability binary even though there are only two outcomes. A binary probability is when the considered outcome has an equal probability of happening or not happening. The probability of being in a collision involving a drunk driver is clearly not analogous.

Anyway, you really need to educate yourself on probability and statistics as you could not have possibly found a way to be more wrong. Of all the ways in which to be wrong about the type of probability function we're dealing with, you chose the one type that is completely opposite of what it is we're attempting to discuss.

I beleive that DUI laws across the country are laws that many would agree to disagree to. I feel as though the law as a whole leaves great room for error to interpret the law. I have been convicted four times for DUI and I don't really care what anybody thinks of me and to add insult to injury my brother of 19 years old was killed by a drunk driver before I got the DUIS. Maybe this drove me to drink and I make no excuses for my actions. However I have been clean & sober since Feb 24, 2001. Not a drop. I was wrong admit it and have moved on with life
    In florida my residing State my license is revoked for life drinking or no drinking. This is a unfair law due to the fact that they did this for a conviction in another State when I was living in that State because the North Carolina officer used my last know Florida address because I had not had my north Carolina ID card yet. I feel this is unjust scales. However for all of you out there that like to drink. rregardless of what we think is wrong or right the law is the law.
    I dont agree with it and never will however I know the sorrows that drinking can cause when used as a drug to get high otrher than socially in moderation. The diseases it causes and the effects of family violence, divorce, loss of memory, plus the loss of other peoples family members. In a nutshell some of us fust cannot drink and shouldnt be. If your drinking and driving you have a problem that problem should be addressed before it begins to affect the lives of others

Um, I got nothing. That is all.

Johnathan's got nothing?

Someone mark the calendar in red.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Johnathan's got nothing?

Someone mark the calendar in red.
    To be fair, his opening salvo is, :I beleive that DUI laws across the country are laws that many would agree to disagree to." How does one respond to such a thing?

First off, it starts out with "I beleive [sic]". Ok, he believes it; I can't argue with that. Second up is the "agree to disagree" bit. I've always found statements such as that to be particularly useless filler conversation. Of course in a disagreement people have agreed to disagree; otherwise, there would be no argument. An agreement that at least two parties disagree is a necessary condition of a disagreement.

Can we use purple instead? It's more delicate, like me. ^_^

Purple it is.

Shibby <))~ (that's my clown)

Damn, expertlaw molested my clown! Eeeeeep! <): o)~

Just subtract a space between : and o and I think you'll have it. I guess this is going to make using him with interchangeable hats a bit of a pain.

Quote Quoting bobbeckner
    View Post
    I beleive that DUI laws across the country are laws that many would agree to disagree to. I feel as though the law as a whole leaves great room for error to interpret the law.
    what are you talking about? your stop was probably quite black and white and the evidence was probably iron clad. The only interpretation to be had is by some individual viewing your records and saddled with the difficult task of trying to put those crimes in context..
    I have been convicted four times for DUI and I don't really care what anybody thinks of me and to add insult to injury my brother of 19 years old was killed by a drunk driver before I got the DUIS. Maybe this drove me to drink and I make no excuses for my actions. However I have been clean & sober since Feb 24, 2001. Not a drop. I was wrong admit it and have moved on with life
    you don't care? That was apparent 3 whole DUIs ago. Your brother? That demonstrates your hardheadedness not some type of example of tragic irony. My regards of course. Good for you. Nearly a decade without incident however what you've moved on from doesn't do much good in a society which now features background check apps on phones, relentless finger wagging, and a populace overly eager to see another man's papers even if its identicle to their own! Regardless of who has moved on there are lingering consequences to be dealt with once the system has gotten you.
    In florida my residing State my license is revoked for life drinking or no drinking. This is a unfair law due to the fact that they did this for a conviction in another State when I was living in that State because the North Carolina officer used my last know Florida address because I had not had my north Carolina ID card yet.
    Your not the property of Fla. Even if Fla put you on the road your offense was against the state of north carolina not Fla. It should have had an effect on your privlidges in that state alone unless Fla takes offenses anywhere in the U.S. as acts against itself. If Fla has a DUI anywhere law then you should had taken that into consideration when choosing to live there and that means your ID not being converted or w/e is a moot point. Arent those just the breaks for living in the sunshine state?
    I feel this is unjust scales. However for all of you out there that like to drink. rregardless of what we think is wrong or right the law is the law.
    I dont agree with it and never will however I know the sorrows that drinking can cause when used as a drug to get high otrher than socially in moderation. The diseases it causes and the effects of family violence, divorce, loss of memory, plus the loss of other peoples family members. In a nutshell some of us fust cannot drink and shouldnt be. If your drinking and driving you have a problem that problem should be addressed before it begins to affect the lives of others
    Like I said its not a federal statute, its not like you can't move to say Georgia or something and live your life. Of course you feel the sorrow but was this only after you lost your right to cruise around town? After you spent time in the pokey? What was it that lead to you learning that your substance usage was abuse? Does Fla not have the right to protect itself? How many DUIs should it tolerate and should a habitual offender of any crime face the same penalties eat time?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9