Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 82mph in a 65mph Zone, Cop Says He Paced Me with His Cruiser

hello i was caught speeding for 82 in a 65 zone on the freeway from a highway patrol in California . he said he used the pacing method to identify my speed by following me and looking at his speedometer, however i did not see him behind me until the last 1.5 miles before he pulled me over, and i was doing about 70 when he was behind me. the officer claims he was behind me for more then 2.5 miles and he said i was driving 82, he did not use a radar or estimation of speed. i know i can get records of his calibration on the speedometer of his car but how the heck can i prove he wasent behind me for that long? i can swear this guy used a quick estimation of my speed from far away and then raced to catch up. what can i do i really need some opinions and suggestions please. its been 12 years since i have gotten a ticket. thank you for your time

Default Re: 82mph in a 65mph Zone, Cop Says He Paced Me with His Cruiser

The only way you can prove that the officer wasn't behind you is if the officer had a video camera installed in his vehicle, and was recording his actions at the time he followed you. But if your defense is that he only paced you for 1.5 miles instead of 2.5 miles, that's not much of a defense.

file a public information request requesting the video tape from that cruiser for that day!

thanks guys will stay on top of it, most likely gonna turn this into a written declaration tho, thats the best way to do it.

Quote Quoting ae13291
    View Post
    thats the best way to do it.
    Not necessarily true. In this case, where it is your word against that of the officer, and since a TBD does not afford you the opportunity to cross examine the officer about which ever statements he might make in his testimony (his declaration), a TBD might not work out as well as you may hope.

You should also be mindful that first, a "visual estimation" has been proven to be sufficient proof for a conviction of a speeding violation. So even if you argue that he visually estimated your speed (and he most likely will testify that he did do that anyway before he initiated the pace), you're not proving that his estimate is inaccurate or insufficient.

Furthermore, and when an officer paces you (and assuming he is in a position where he is able to easily do that (as in right behind you)), it only takes a few seconds for him to get a reading of his speed relative to yours -2 to 3 seconds at most- which at your alleged speed of 82 mph (120fps), it may have only taken him a distance of 360 or so feet to measure your speed. That, is less than 0.07 miles...

I am not saying that the officer will go into making any calculations either in his declaration or as part of his in-court testimony so as to justify his issuing you a citation... Then again, he does not need to do that. All he must do is state that "he saw you traveling at a high rate of speed, he gave pursuit, paced you at 82mph, and that his speedometer has been calibrated" (the CHP's policy is (I believe) every 3 months).... And he's pretty much done. Based on what you posted here, there's not much you can say to refute that.

By all means though, give it your best shot and let us know what happens.

Good luck!

^^^^ thank you very much for the response. so legally all he has to do is stay behind me for atleast 360ft?

Quote Quoting ae13291
    View Post
    ^^^^ thank you very much for the response. so legally all he has to do is stay behind me for atleast 360ft?
    I didn't say anything to suggest that there is a legal requirement for him to stay behind you for any distance whatsoever during a pace.

>>>>>>>UPDATE

ok guys now things are getting a little weird. i just got the ticket in the mail with my correct address but my name is spelled horribly wrong my first and last name. i just looked under lasuperiorcourt.org and it shows i have no tickets under my drivers license number and date of birth. what do i do now? did they screw up my ticket? do i still pay it? please let me know. btw the it was weird because they sent me a letter and it only had my misspelled name and citation number and bail amount and that was the only info about me on there. please respond back to the post thank you btw they wrote my drivers license number wrong

There should also be an option to look it up with a "citation number"... Try that...
    Alternatively, I would call the court and have them sort things out.

I highly doubt it will just go away on its own and frankly, the risks of it coming back up to haunt you in the future (suspended license + failure to appear) are higher than the benefits you may temporarily reap by ignoring it!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    There should also be an option to look it up with a "citation number"... Try that...
    Alternatively, I would call the court and have them sort things out.

I highly doubt it will just go away on its own and frankly, the risks of it coming back up to haunt you in the future (suspended license + failure to appear) are higher than the benefits you may temporarily reap by ignoring it!
    i looked it up in every way possible electronically. the only thing they have is my address which was entered manually. the drivers license number and name dont even match up to my DOB either. how the heck can they prove its me now? my car is even registered under somebody else's name. remember how i said the cop was in a hurry? he probably copied everything from my drivers license and he dident even enter my name into the computer in the cop cars. i will call the court tomorrow but why the heck would i tell them to correct things they completely messed up.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast