Default Buying a Vehicle With the Registered Owner in Jail and an Outstanding Lien

(sorry bout the title i wrote it wrong) hey guys, i thought i would ask this here, since i live in california, we just bought a ohv vehicle (yamaha yfz450) for my brother with no registration only a bill of sale, but the guy had the quad for 2 years without registering it, the owner before is a friend of his so he gave me all his friends info for the bill of sale and i got a bill of sale from him to show proof that its paid for. what do i need to do to get a pink slip for this? i dont think i can show the dmv my bill of sale since the bank is the one with the pink slip and there is $200 that needs to be owed to the bank and the guy that is registered to it is in jail . should i tell the dmv that its been in my storage for 19 months and now and do a lien sale? i am really stumped on what to do. i know for a fact its not stolen because we ran the vin at the Dmv and it is clean, last registered was in 2005, and he never put a hold on the registration, so would lien sale be the best thing to do?

Default Re: Buying a Vehicle With the Registered Owner in Jail and an Outstanding Lien

If I were you, I would tell the "seller" to either provide clear title or a refund.

Default Re: Buying a Vehicle With the Registered Owner in Jail and an Outstanding Lien

i would but i got like a super good deal on it, so thats why i have to deal with the registration, i was just seeking some advice on here

Well, your super good deal is because you don't really have a deal. but somebody else has your money. Lying to the DMV, telling them that it has been in storage, is not advisable and wouldn't help you anyway. You need to establish an ownership trail from the last registered owner. You could try visiting the registered owner in jail and see what it will take to get him to sign it over to you. Alternatively, you may have a lawn ornament.

Quote Quoting ae13291
    View Post
    . should i tell the dmv that its been in my storage for 19 months and now and do a lien sale? i am really stumped on what to do. i know for a fact its not stolen because we ran the vin at the Dmv and it is clean, last registered was in 2005, and he never put a hold on the registration, so would lien sale be the best thing to do?
    what makes you believe you have any right to place a lien on the bike? Just because you stored it does not mean you have any claim on it. In fact, most likely, you have absolutely zero claim so as to be able to place a lien on the thing. Even then, that does not mean you can just keep it.

On top of that, the bank can still come and get it because they do have a legal lien on it.

Sounds like a lawn ornament to me.

thanks for all the LEGAL advice guys it sure is useful btw whats the meaning of lawn ornament?

Quote Quoting ae13291
    View Post
    thanks for all the LEGAL advice guys it sure is useful btw whats the meaning of lawn ornament?
    often, people will ask questions of how to obtain titles to vehicles where it is simply impossible to get a title. Since the vehicle would then not be able to be driven on the road, it simply becomes a lawn ornament since all you can do with it is let it set in your lawn.

You actually cannot even legally sell the thing because you do not have a clear title to it so, again, it sets in your lawn.

therefore, it is a "lawn ornament"

Here is information on a lien sale, but I doubt that this situation will apply in your case:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr7.htm

And how to register an OHV:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr19.htm

And if you go to www.dmv.ca.gov you will find all manner of information.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

thanks for the info guys, but i obtained info that Kentucky does not register ohv vehicles so therefore they use a bill of sale to transfer it to other states and obtain titles. i will see what i can do.

so how did Kentucky get involved with this. You said this is in California.

and the bank still has a lien and still has rights to repo the vehicle. You still will not have a clear title to the bike.

1. Sponsored Links