Default I'm Moving Out Early, Want to Sublet - Roommate Troubles

My question involves a roommate in the State of: New York.

My issue is a little complicated. I moved into a brownstown in Brooklyn under a verbal agreement with the landlord. I was initial tenant. No contracts. Security deposit is one months rent. No verbal agreement on length or details of the apartment. I moved in with one roommate who left 3 months after moving in. A third roommate moved in about halfway into our first month. Three of us were initially living in the apartment until my friend (second roommate) left. The third roommate and I found a replacement. I've lived here 9 months all together.

My girlfriend and I decided two months ago that we would find a place together for December. I gave approximately 45-60 days notice to my landlord and roommates. They found a replacement who will be reimbursing me with her deposit. The landlord keeps all of our deposits and the system we have set up is that the incoming roommate has to pay a deposit to the outgoing roommate. Unfortunately, I haven't been allowed involvement in the roommate search. Neither of these girls have had an apartment or dealt with a lease before. They have not accepted a security deposit from this new roommate even though she gave her word three weeks ago.

I have paid for the month of November. Unfortunately, the new apartment that my girlfriend and I are moving into, will only give us a prorated price if we move in on the 16th and will be much more if we move in on the 1st. We accepted the deal and I'm looking at my options with getting my half months rent back.

The issue now comes up with my roommates. They want to move into the room before my paid month is up. I asked them if they want to pay me for the room. They said no. I've asked them about subletting it for 15 days and they flat out said "no". Because of their unreasonableness, I have said I will keep the room until the 1st (my legal right). In their response, they said they will be keeping my deposit until mid-December.

What are my options? I'm leaning toward cutting my loses and taking the deposit now and forfeiting up my room for the rest of the month. What is upsetting is that this new roommate is now moving in on the 16th (after I leave) and not paying for the month of November. I guess my other two roommates have built up a friendship with this new roommate and I'm getting screwed because of it. Any thoughts?

Default Re: I'm Moving Out Early, Want to Sublet - Roommate Troubles

How about telling them that your rent is paid through the end of the month, you won't be fully moved out until the end of the month, and thus your room won't be available on the 16th?

Quote Quoting depthofperception
    View Post
    My question involves a roommate in the State of: New York.

My issue is a little complicated. I moved into a brownstown in Brooklyn under a verbal agreement with the landlord. I was initial tenant. No contracts. Security deposit is one months rent. No verbal agreement on length or details of the apartment. I moved in with one roommate who left 3 months after moving in. A third roommate moved in about halfway into our first month. Three of us were initially living in the apartment until my friend (second roommate) left. The third roommate and I found a replacement. I've lived here 9 months all together.

My girlfriend and I decided two months ago that we would find a place together for December. I gave approximately 45-60 days notice to my landlord and roommates. They found a replacement who will be reimbursing me with her deposit. The landlord keeps all of our deposits and the system we have set up is that the incoming roommate has to pay a deposit to the outgoing roommate. Unfortunately, I haven't been allowed involvement in the roommate search. Neither of these girls have had an apartment or dealt with a lease before. They have not accepted a security deposit from this new roommate even though she gave her word three weeks ago.

I have paid for the month of November. Unfortunately, the new apartment that my girlfriend and I are moving into, will only give us a prorated price if we move in on the 16th and will be much more if we move in on the 1st. We accepted the deal and I'm looking at my options with getting my half months rent back.

The issue now comes up with my roommates. They want to move into the room before my paid month is up. I asked them if they want to pay me for the room. They said no. I've asked them about subletting it for 15 days and they flat out said "no". Because of their unreasonableness, I have said I will keep the room until the 1st (my legal right). In their response, they said they will be keeping my deposit until mid-December.

What are my options? I'm leaning toward cutting my loses and taking the deposit now and forfeiting up my room for the rest of the month. What is upsetting is that this new roommate is now moving in on the 16th (after I leave) and not paying for the month of November. I guess my other two roommates have built up a friendship with this new roommate and I'm getting screwed because of it. Any thoughts?
    Being a landlord, I've seen many similar move-in, move-out, scenerios' where I make an inducement to my my new tenants to move in earlier with me, either with a reduced rent, or some other amenity, and often they have to cut out earlier on their prior landlord, and I'm sure, leave that poor landlord, or roommates holding the bag.

Here, it seems that these other roommates fully expected you to pay through the end of November, in fact received the rent, and not to be a pig over it, told this new person, hey, you can pay us from Dec 1. If I was one of these other roommates of yours, I would think I'm not taking advantage of this new person, and I don't look at it as "I'm doing this because I like this person better".

As to the search for this new roomate, shouldn't they be involved as they'll be the roommates?? Why would they room with someone YOU like better?? That's selfish!! My mom don't even get involved choosing my roommates.

In fact, I'm the type of guy that get really upset if someone offered to rent me up the room, then as it turned out, the previous guy pulled out early, and I'm told "NO NO NO, we made a big mistake, you'll have to pay starting the 16th now INSTEAD". If I made the decision to rent here vs another place because of the two weeks free rent, I would feel I just got stabbed in the back.

Ah Ah. If I'm told this, I would say "take your room and shove it".

In this case, it is you changing the ground rules after the fact, so it's simply a case of "you made your bed, so you sleep in it".

Often, I hear new tenants say to me "thanks for letting me move in early, but I have to check with my current roommates if it'll leave them in a lurch". That would have been the right way to handle it.

If your roommates let you have your way, say they'll waive your rent, make your happy, and pulled a switcheroo on this new roommate, living with someone who would from day one feel cheated. If it was a case of you being in the right, it's one thing, but here I see they'll be making someone happy who won't even be there, and living instead with someone who felt cheated.

Makes no sense to me!!

Quote Quoting depthofperception
    View Post
    Yes, take the deposit and move into your new apartment. But. don't look at it as "cutting your losses". It's the deals that you made (both apartments). Actually, if you have any personal property at all it is extremely difficult to time a move from one apartment to another without some overlap. If your new lease starts on the 16th, you moving out on the 16th while someone else is trying to move in could make for a very uncomfortable situation.

I would want ALL of my stuff out before the new person moved ANYTHING in. Otherwise, I'm afraid your next post may relate to missing items that you feel got mixed up with those of the new tenant, but she claims she doesn't have them.

1. Sponsored Links