Default Misuse of Child Support Funds

My question involves child support in the State of: South Carolina

My husband and I have temporary custoday of our 8 year old granddaughter.
    The biological father who lives in Kansas is still paying child support to the biological mother who lives in Indiana and she is supposed to be forwarding the support on to us. (The biological mother signed a document stating she would forward the child support every month.)
    We have yet to receive any of the support funds. The biological mother and her new husband are using the funds for all sorts of things except what the money is intended for. In the mean time we are struggling to provide for our granddaughter.
    The biological father is asking the court to change the recipients of the child support to my husband and myself, but what legal recourse do we have to recover the child support that the biological mother did not send?
    This is obviously a gross misuse of child support funds.

Default Re: Misuse of Child Support Funds

Quote Quoting BakingMom74
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: South Carolina

My husband and I have temporary custoday of our 8 year old granddaughter.
    The biological father who lives in Kansas is still paying child support to the biological mother who lives in Indiana and she is supposed to be forwarding the support on to us. (The biological mother signed a document stating she would forward the child support every month.)
    We have yet to receive any of the support funds. The biological mother and her new husband are using the funds for all sorts of things except what the money is intended for. In the mean time we are struggling to provide for our granddaughter.
    The biological father is asking the court to change the recipients of the child support to my husband and myself, but what legal recourse do we have to recover the child support that the biological mother did not send?
    This is obviously a gross misuse of child support funds.
    BOTH parents have a legal duty to support thier child. The father is doing the right thing by going to court to have the CS sent to you. Now, you should do the right thing and go to court to get a CS order for the mother to pay you CS also. (if that has not already been done).

Lightbulb Re: Misuse of Child Support Funds

View Post
    The biological father is asking the court to change the recipients of the child support to my husband and myself
    When the father does ask the judge to change name on the order from the mother to the grandparents - he should also ask the judge to make the payments retroactive to the date of the document signed by the mother. Be sure to provide the father with that letter to present as evidence to the judge! Then the judge can order the mother to pay the money owed to the grandparents.

P.s. - please don't use the term "biological" unless their child was legally adopted. they remain the mother/father without that term in front.

Thank you both for the advice!!
    I apologize for using the term "biological mother or father" it is a term we've grown accustomed to having to use when explaining the often confusing case where we have one mother, a grandmother that the child refers to as mother,3 additional grandchildren from the same mother with 4 different fathers and yet another step father.
    You are correct though in that I should not use the term "biological".
    Thank you again very much - your advice is a great help and much appreciated!!

View Post
    Thank you both for the advice!!
    I apologize for using the term "biological mother or father" it is a term we've grown accustomed to having to use when explaining the often confusing case where we have one mother, a grandmother that the child refers to as mother,3 additional grandchildren from the same mother with 4 different fathers and yet another step father.
    You are correct though in that I should not use the term "biological".
    Thank you again very much - your advice is a great help and much appreciated!!
    The child/ren should not be referring to grandparents as anything except "Grandma and Grandpa". Mom is "Mom" and Dad is "Dad". Not confusing at all...

Quote Quoting Baystategirl
    View Post
    The child/ren should not be referring to grandparents as anything except "Grandma and Grandpa". Mom is "Mom" and Dad is "Dad". Not confusing at all...
    I am actually her step grandmother and her grandfather and I will eventually be adopting her. I suppose in a perfect world on that day the adoption is finalized she would begin calling me Mom instead of StepGrandMommy if we all wanted to be perfectly correct.
    However, what the child should refer to me as was not my initial question.

View Post
    I am actually her step grandmother and her grandfather and I will eventually be adopting her. I suppose in a perfect world on that day the adoption is finalized she would begin calling me Mom instead of StepGrandMommy if we all wanted to be perfectly correct.
    However, what the child should refer to me as was not my initial question.
    No. It wasn't. But since you and the GF have not adopted the child, and until it is completed Mom and Dad can take measures to get custody of THEIR child back...I was just trying to cation you that have said child referring to you and Gramps as anything bur GM and GP can cause a problem.

I beleive the child should call you whatever she chooses as long as you and the child are comfortable with it. As long as the child is not forced.My cousins call my grandma their grandma even though its their aunt because she raised us all. It probly gives her some stability to say yeah thats my mommy instead of an 8 year old explaining no my mom and dad bounced now my grandpa and his girlfriend take care of me. I know how it felt to explain why I lived with my grandma even. so don't let people get u down u are a good person from the sounds of it

1. Sponsored Links