Default Is an Attorney Needed

This is in regards to court hearing in Ohio next month due to the fact Ex has not paid court ordered child support for 2+ years and is thousands of dollars in arrears. Ex has hired an attorney and it's safe to say he will be in court with the Ex on the court date.

Since the court papers I received state "State of Ohio vs. xxxxx", is it required or recommended that I (CP) have a lawyer present as well? Don't want to be blind sided the day of, not sure what "tactics" Ex's lawyer will try to pull, etc.

Case is being handled through county CSEA and they are the one's who filed the motion.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Is an Attorney Needed

Quote Quoting yellowjackets89
    View Post
    This is in regards to court hearing in Ohio next month due to the fact Ex has not paid court ordered child support for 2+ years and is thousands of dollars in arrears. Ex has hired an attorney and it's safe to say he will be in court with the Ex on the court date.

Since the court papers I received state "State of Ohio vs. xxxxx", is it required or recommended that I (CP) have a lawyer present as well? Don't want to be blind sided the day of, not sure what "tactics" Ex's lawyer will try to pull, etc.

Case is being handled through county CSEA and they are the one's who filed the motion.

Thanks in advance!
    No, since the CSEA is already involved, you do not need to hire an attorney.

You are not required to be present at the hearing, but it's always a good idea to appear anyway.

Thank you! This is new territory, so didn't want to walk in and be blind sided by something.

Also, is there any circumstance that exists where Ex's lawyer could "argue" that Ex should not be responsible for the arrears of for the current ordered amount??

From my understanding, arrears don't just go away.......

Again, thank you!!

Quote Quoting yellowjackets89
    View Post
    Thank you! This is new territory, so didn't want to walk in and be blind sided by something.

Also, is there any circumstance that exists where Ex's lawyer could "argue" that Ex should not be responsible for the arrears of for the current ordered amount??

From my understanding, arrears don't just go away.......

Again, thank you!!
    No, arrears do not go away. However, if your ex can prove that the non payment was not willfull through an involuntary set of circumstances (lay-off, injury, illness, etc) a finding of contempt might not be made.

Pure laziness is why no payment was made. Doesn't want to work, still lives with parents at 30 something years old. Thinks that what his parents do for HIS son is payment enough....

Ex is "convinced the system was created by some woman hell bent on making people miserable".......

Thanks for the input!

1. Sponsored Links