Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Procedural Guide to Traffic Tickets in Washington State

I got a speeding ticket at school area. I am sure I wasn't speeding. I was driving on a road where the speed limit changes from 35mph to 20mph within about 15 yards. I thought the officer tested my speed just before I entered the 20mph zone. I have a passenger. He noticed my speed was 20 when entering the school area. I chose to contest. I have several questions. I do appreciate if you experts can help with them.

I need to send discovery request. I didn't get a case number yet. Should i wait to do the request after receiving the court date notice and case number?

Do I need to ask for deferral? If so, should i do that before court or after court?

Do I need to contact the court for asking my passenger to be a witness? What's the procedure to ask for a witness?

Thank you!

How many times did you read then ignore the instruction to start your own thread?

Here it is again: Don't post questions here. Start your own thread.

I feel like this is going to get buried by people posting their questions, but I wanted to share my experiences with a couple courts.

Summary
    Barry's advice on the first page of this post is absolutely fantastic. Here's a working link for the Discovery Request Template. I highly recommend going to court to observe the proceedings before your hearing. Call the court clerk and ask when they'll be hearing contested traffic infractions. Sitting in for 10 minutes should be enough to grasp how the judge handles each case and to understand when it'll be your turn to talk.

King County District Court
    Specifically the South Division (Burien). I was not given an option for a pre-trial conference. Paperwork had to be filed at the Burien courthouse. The prosecutor for my case had their office at the Regional Justice Center in Kent. This was rather annoying when filing for discovery since I had to drive to Kent and then Burien.
    At the hearing, the prosecutor was present and made a point to talk to every individual reminding them of their options for the various types of hearings (contested, mitigated, etc.). The prosecutor advised on whether or not each defendant was eligible for a deferral. For many cases, the prosecutor would offer to amend the charges to a non-moving violation (plea it down). Because the prosecutor took care of most of the nonsense before each case was called, the judge could jump straight in to each case and they went pretty quickly. For those that amended charges, it took less than a minute to get through the case.

Seattle
    Seattle does the pre-trial conferences. The conference is a one-on-one with a judge, but the judge doesn't appear to have the authority to make any decisions on the case. The sessions are recorded, so be careful not to admit to any infractions. If you're eligible for a deferral, this is the time to go for it. You won't be given the opportunity during your hearing. I didn't file for discovery on this case, but the city's courthouse and attorney's offices are only blocks away from each other making filing much less painful. I spoke to the prosecutor for my case between the conference and the hearing. I used the city's online contact form to contact the prosecutor and it took 7 business days for me to get an email back. The prosecutor was fair and easy to work with, and was very responsive to email despite the initial lag.
    Seattle will also let you adjudicate by mail. After you mail in your ticket you'll get instructions on how to exercise this option. If your case is weak and you just want to reduce the fine, this is probably a good option.
    During the hearing, the prosecutors were not at all concerned with making deals. They put up a major stink when one defendant attempted to go for a mitigated hearing instead of a contested hearing, objecting that they weren't prepared for such a hearing (that they ultimately have no involvement in). The judge I saw would gave a 20 minute grace period to any defendant or witness. That means if you subpoenaed an officer and your case was scheduled to be heard at 8:30 the officer could arrive as late as 8:50 and still testify.
    In Seattle, I recommend seeking representation for traffic infractions.

If you have a question about your case: click here.

Barry,

Thank you for the excellent overall explanation of what to expect and the discovery request template. Very useful.

I started research a bit late myself [case tomorrow], but the info you provided was invaluable.

Thanks again.

Default Discovery Form Wa State

My question involves traffic court in the State of: Washington

I have recieved a speeding ticket, and have chosen to contest. The court date is set, and now I need to file for discovery. I read blewis' VERY helpful sticky about the Procedural Guide to Traffic Tickets in Washington State. What I really need is the discovery form. All the links to download it appear to be dead. Does anyone have an updated link, or can anyone please send me the form?

Thanks in Advance!

Can anyone send me a copy of the form needed to file a motion for speedy hearing to the prosecutor and the court? This is for Snohomish County in Washington State.
    Thanks

The link here seems to be working.

Quick question:
    According to IRLJ 2.6 paragraph 2,"The court shall send the defendant written notice of the time, place, and date of the hearing within 21 days of the receipt of the request for a hearing."
    21 business or regular days? According to a certified mail receipt,the court received my paperwork on Jan 29th and mailed the hearing notice on Feb 19th,which makes it 22 regular days.Do I have a case for dismissal?

You need to start your own thread.

Hello All...I would like to have a clarification on the dateline of request for discovery. The law says that we can ask for request for discovery before 14 days from the date of hearing. Does that mean the prosecutor should receive the request before 14 days or we can send the request for discovery between 14 days? e.g. if my hearing is on July 1st, can i submit my request on 17th June? Or should I have to send it earlier so that the Prosecutor's office receive it by 17th?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast