Default Sexual Harassment By a Boss

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: GA

Here is the issue:

My girlfriends boss who is the head of this companies operations in the GA area is sexual harassing her.

This is why I think he is: Recently he has been taking her on tours of the operations for multiple hours. He keep commenting on how hot she is, talking about his marriage. She wants to stay in the area and has let it been known to the other regional managers as well purely for professional reasons.

He asks her, well what would you do for a position like this? She answered in a professional way, well I work hard and I'd do well in this position. He responds, well WHAT ELSE would you do. He keeps asking her out to dinner, calling once even on a Friday night, aside from at work. She keeps insisting that she has a boyfriend and that she has plenty of time during lunch hours to go out to eat. He also keeps saying that he does her performance review after asking about dinner.

This is her only job, she doesn't want to lose it and she's not sure what to do about this. She doesn't want to tell anyone because she doesn't want rumors to spread.

Who can help? What can she do? Is this sexual harassment? Does she need proof, if so, how?

By the way, he has a pretty good repuatation at the company and has been there for many years.. would be considered a senior employee.

Default Re: Urgent, What Should I Do

YOU should do nothing. You have no standing to interfere in your girlfriend's employment relationship and you might make things worse for her. If SHE wants to take action, then she needs to discuss it with HR or upper management. If nothing is going on than you have described, it is not sexual harassment YET but it may turn into SH down the road.

Default Re: Urgent, What Should I Do

I'm not going to do anything. I'm just gathering advice to pass on. Does she have anything worse passing on or could this be nothing?

Default Re: Sexual Harassment By a Boss

At any time has SHE made it clear to him that she is not interested in going out to dinner with him or in seeing him socially? That the comments bother her?

No, she's trying to act like he's not hitting on her although it's obvious to her. She doesn't want to make the workplace uncomfortable or reject him because he is her boss and writes her performance reviews.

She can't be complaining if she hasn't addressed it directly.

She is a program where she must rotate around the country when positions are available. She can get fired if she says "no" to the rotation. She'd like to stay in GA.

He has already said there is a position she can fill if she wants it in the area but he keeps asking her "What would she do for it?" He has the power to make a position available or not.

Okay, now THAT sounds like it's verging on sexual harassment. She needs to talk to HR or upper management ASAP. If she cannot or will not do that, then she can go straight to the EEOC, but she can substantially weaken any potential case if she does not give the company an opportunity to address the situation first. If she is fired for reporting sexual harassment, that is an illegal termination for which she WILL have legal recourse.

I believe GA is a one party (recording) state.
    I would get him on tape saying those things (preferably more than once)
    The way it is described here is very common, and I do believe that this young lady is uncomfortable and feels intimidated by him. I've been in similar situations, and even though nothing is really said...it's quite clear what the intimations are when you are right there.
    I also believe that she will do best to have recordings instead of a he said she said thing.
    She may also want to begin searching for another job, in case this company does not turn out to be a good fit for her. Even if she wins, she may lose, if you know what I mean.

1. Sponsored Links