Default Will an Unclaimed New Job Be Discovered by EDD

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

After speaking over the phone in an interview, a representative mentioned that at the end of the (tax?) year they would be verifying all the hours I have worked at another PT employer that I originally stated on my claim/application. The rep said, if there is any discrepancy it will be made known at that time.

** My question involves a possible new PT job that I havent even been hired to yet. If I get hired and the job is very minimal hours, maybe 3 a week and I dont claim it, but I fill out a 1099 form upon being hired, will unemployment eventually see this and charge me for overpayments? Or will they only see/examine information for the original employers I claimed at the time I filed for unemployment?**

Just a hypothetical question for my future knowledge. My fear would be by claiming a new PT employer, my benefits would be much less and it would not balance out in terms of how much income I rely on from unemployment. Thanks!

Default Re: Will an Unclaimed New Job Be Discovered by EDD

Slow down.

Are you going to be an independent contractor? That would mean the contractee would send you a 1099 in January. You don't fill out a 1099, and you're responsible for paying self-employment tax.

Are you going to be an actual employee, with taxes withheld and such? You would fill out a W4, and all of your hours worked would automatically be reported.

Either way, if you work, you are required by law to report that income. One way or another, EDD will find out about - probably sooner rather than later, at that - and then you'll find yourself with a lot more problems than simply not having as large a check as you're used to.

an employer cannot legally pay you under a 1099. That is for independent contractors.

and they may very well find out about this. Is it worth that 3 hours pay per week to possibly be charged with lying on your reports and have to return all of your unemployment compensation as well as possible criminal actions?

I recently filed an unemployment claim for a few weeks between contracts.

In my state, you can save an enormous amount of time by filing in person rather than on the phone (on-line is not yet available in my state). When you come in, you complete a form that gives, among other things, your SSN, and then you wait till your name is called. When I was called, I walked down to the intake workers office and he already had my employment record up on his computer, including the employer I had only just left.

Um, yes, the unemployment office will find out....

Yea, I get it. I AM an independent contractor. All details aside regarding accurate tax forms and employment status, i feel my actual question was answered. So thank you.

This is my first unemployment experience ever so i appreciate your patience. What I found most helpful was cbg's 'real life' example of walking to the counter and having the service person already have his former employment record up and jk's posed 'is it worth it' perspective question. What I found least helpful was the intimidation based on the possible consequences of legal disobedience. Choice always exists.

Thanks!

Not that it matters much, but I'm a she....

Glad we were able to help.

i actually thought that might be the case after i had already posted thanks for the correction. peace

1. Sponsored Links