Default Lawyer recusal

Can an attorney in the state of AR legally just walk away from a case just months after getting it? My friend paid a $2500 retainer to this attorney to secure a divorce and there wasn't a lot done on his behalf. My friend can be somewhat abrasive at times and may have rubbed the attorney the wrong way but is this an ethical thing to do? And can it be done without submitting a motion to the court and subsequently receiving an order signed by the judge releasing him from the case?

Thank you for your help.

Default Lawyer Leaving Case

Speaking generally, if the lawyer has filed a case the lawyer must obtain a court order discharging the lawyer from further responsibility for the case. If no case has been filed, the lawyer can ordinarily terminate the relationship and return any unearned fees to the client - although the attorney may be obligated to take steps to avoid prejudicing the client as a result of terminating the attorney-client relationship.

Your friend may be able to get some state-specific information from the Office of the Arkansas Supreme Court Committee on Professional Conduct.

Default Thank you aaron....

My friend and I continue in our uphill battle....unfortunately, my friend has been in direct contact with Stark Ligon, the Executive Director of the office and still he gets nowhere. Still working on it but not sure when or where this will ever end....seems that there is no accountability in the state of Arkansas no matter how high we go.....

Thank you for your response - we'll keep working on this....

~arwyn

1. Sponsored Links