Default Reporting Freelance Work to Unemployment

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: New York

I was laid off in November. While receiving severance, I was working on a book I was commissioned to write by an outside company. I stopped working on the book before I started receiving unemployment. However, while having been receiving unemployment for several weeks now, at a rate of $405 per week, I received a $900 check for the book. Do I claim this? How? Every week I claim unemployment by answering a set of questions online. None of them seem to cover this type of predicament.

Also, I am starting to freelance and earn a few bucks here and there. I have no idea how to report the money I earn to unemployment. The questions asked don't cover specific figures, etc. I am so confused. Any help?

I can't seem to figure out how to actually speak to a real human being at the NY unemployment office.

Default Re: Reporting Freelance Work to Unemployment

This is work you performed as an employee, or as an independent contractor?

I have the exact same problem. I've been receiving unemployment benefits for a few weeks now because of the full-time job I lost last month. I just received payment for freelance services performed last month which are entirely separate from that full-time job. Do I just skip a week of claiming and start reclaiming after? I have the impression this is what I'm suppose to do but then how will I claim the money I made? One sentence tells me I can't claim benefits if I made more than the max amount ($405, which I did) but another tells me I have to report any money made?!

All over the web and NY Labor website it says "Report all work!!!" but HOW? I can't get through the telephone lines and there are no forms online. It's amazing to me that such a simple thing has been so complicated.

Will this stop my benefits? It's was a TEMPORARY freelance gig that lasted one day. I don't do this full-time. I see accounts all over the web where people have had unemployment put on hold for taking freelance work. This is crazy to me! Why would they discourage people taking work when it's not full-time?

BTW, I'm an independent contractor. Freelance work was for a company I'm not an employee of.

What was the resolution to this? I'm in the same situation with freelance work here and there, but as an independent contractor and not full time.

1. Sponsored Links