Default Interlock Violation

I blew into my interlock device while on NyQuil for a cold and flu. I was locked out and just received a violation notice. Any advice for my letter to the State of Illinois?

Default Re: Interlock Violation

Tell the truth and hope for the best?

I don't know what the laws are in IL, but in AZ you are given a long list of things not to use while you have an Interlock installed in your car, and if you do use any of them and blow above the limit it's basically your fault. My friend's mom had one on her car and she asked me to run to the store for her because she had been drinking (it was a birthday party). Well, I had just eaten pepperoni pizza and my breath needed some freshening, so before we left I used some listerine that I keep in my purse. I ended up blowing something like a .70% (I don't drink alcohol, so the only explanation could have been the Listerine)! Literally something that would be impossible to blow and still be living. Right after I blew that my friend went to get her mom and figure out what we did wong. My friend's mom asked if I was drinking, I said no but asked her if mouthwash would do it and she was like OMG you used mouthwash with alcohol in it?!?!? She called right away to try to explain it to them, but it was a no-go. They said that she's responsible for whomever is driving her car with the Interlock on it and even though it would have been impossible to blow a .70 it was still counted as a mark against her. You may want to check and see if you had any paperwork that mentioned these things. If you're writing a letter to your state or whomever about this, just be honest as was mentioned, but unfortunately I don't think it will get you anywhere. If you have some documentation from your doctor that you were sick and needed Nyquil then you may have some luck, outside of that I guarantee they've heard the Nyquil defense before from people just trying to get out of trouble (not saying you are, just saying why they might not have any sympathy). Do you mind me asking what you blew from the Nyquil? I know here in AZ you get 3 chances to blow .03% (or something like that, I could be wrong) before it locks you out and you lose your driving priveleges. Does the program in IL work like that too?

I blew a .092.

Received my letter back from the state. No additional penalties.

1. Sponsored Links