Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wink Re: Exposing Predators on My Blog

"Incidentally, it's a non-starter to claim you have faith in science. Things with evidence require no faith. Science is the exact opposite of faith as it obliges people to deal with what is evidently true by dispensing with belief in things for which there is no way to actually know it."

lol....touché

"Now, it's possible this gal has been locked away from all of society such that her mental processes have been carefully contrived through the privation of intellectual liberty common among our society. I don't think it's likely given that she knows you."

I understand your comment but I think you are oversimplifying a complex issue. You are not giving the credit that is due to primary socialization. When the person is also getting secondary socialization from a group with similar thinking/behaviors to the primary caregiver it's more difficult to draw on ones own ideology.

Eventually there will be a point wherein the intelligent person struggles with cognitive dissonance and comes to their own system of belief. This, according to sociologists usually happens around the age of eighteen in America (which is why people choose their faith at this age). I absolutely hold her mother accountable for being ridiculous. She is so ridiculous in fact that she didn’t have a discussion about menstruation with this girl until it was time for it to happen. Such subjects I have found out were taboo in their home. This illustrates the nonsensical sheltering that was going on.

You could make the argument that she still has her own mind to figure things out. But it’s a proven fact that people in dysfunctional homes tend to think in a dysfunctional manner. I.e. even though society says incest is wrong, a person living in a home where that is taking place may think it is normal. They may not challenge that until they get old enough to engage in the process of cognitive dissonance. While this is an extreme example the position of the argument holds true.

I have spoken with her several times lately and believe that she is reaching that point in her life and right on schedule…She is extremely bright and I believe she will throw away unhealthy religious ideas and hold on to healthier ones. Even if religion is just a crutch and there is no god, she can still benefit from the structure that religion provides. Religion is a way that many people learn self control and patience among other things; this is the benefit to which I speak, regardless of what religion the person chooses.

Default Re: Exposing Predators on My Blog

Hello. I know this post is a couple months old - but, although I do not speak of a public figure, I have a similar blog - which exposes predators - abusive men.

I am sorry to see that you have received such negative and unhelpful comments and advice, and I hope this does not turn you off this site. I have found that a few mods on here are quite helpful, while the rest is, well, the rest. . .

I mean, you posted a ligitmate question, stated that you were not sure if it was libel, and received a bunch of insults - um. . . the last I checked this site was set up for free "legal-type" advice - which is what you sought - so why should anyone suggest otherwise? Whether you were in the wrong, or have been wronged, you are entitled to utilize this site and get a decent response. And it is clear from your original post you really wanted to know if you were in the wrong - how is this being a victim? My guess is that if you were, you would remove your blog, right? That is how I read it.

I do not think you are a victim. You did not give us access to your blog, so calling you a "defamer" is not just - there is no way to know. Also, you mentioned that some of the info you posted is public record - then this part of your blog is not defamation. As far as the disclaimer goes, it's a nice touch, but prostitutes on Craigslist use a disclaimer and what they do is still illegal. Just saying.

I would check into see if this man is a public or private figure - how well known is he? Can you prove ANY stories? If so, if one is true, others are probably - and leaves him with unclean hands and an already tarnished reputation - which make for small rewards, if any.

Again, I am sorry you were met with such ignorance for coming to a site meant to help When I get those types of responses, I just remind myself that these people have nothing better to do - sad really.

Cool Re: Exposing Predators on My Blog

Thank you so much for your kind words.
    I did feel like I was met with less then kind responses. Some where okay but the tone was antagonistic. Others seemed more reasonable, which kind of made me feel like this
    I decided to look up one of the persons who left some of the less appropriate comments. Big surprise....he is much nicer to drunks and felons. He apparently sympathizes more with people who care little about the rest of the public and who would rather threaten the lives of others by driving under the influence, than law abiding citizens who try to protect people from the hurt that comes from predators.
    I have to consider the source....obviously some people just want to make the "do-gooder" feel bad for looking out for people who are getting bamboozled. You know... rather give advice to delinquents with a disturbing amount of comradery...kind of speaks to his charecter though, that he feels so close to deviants.
    Again, I appreciate not only your response to this post but also the fact that you are showing people (abusers) for what they are. Maybe the felon loving DUI having message leaver is just offended because there could be a blog out there about him.
    By the way....the guy I wrote a blog about has a documented history through the courts for abusing three different wives. He even chocked one and punched her in the face while she was pregnant. The other child he had was removed from his home for sexual, physical and mental abuse.
    I do have proof for every word I wrote....good luck in your endeavors with your site....keep up the good work.

Default Re: Exposing Predators on My Blog

Quote Quoting lovelyview
    View Post
    Hello. I know this post is a couple months old - but, although I do not speak of a public figure, I have a similar blog - which exposes predators - abusive men.

I am sorry to see that you have received such negative and unhelpful comments and advice, and I hope this does not turn you off this site. I have found that a few mods on here are quite helpful, while the rest is, well, the rest. . .
    I'm curious to find, as I've re-read the entire post, which post(s) it was/they were in which you found that a.) it was negative, and b.) unhelpful.
    I mean, you posted a ligitmate question, stated that you were not sure if it was libel, and received a bunch of insults - um. . . the last I checked this site was set up for free "legal-type" advice - which is what you sought - so why should anyone suggest otherwise?
    To which s/he received legitimate advice to respond initially with a statement about how s/he was personally offended by the personal attack on his/her character. The statement was mild, highly accurate and most importantly appropriate given the information provided.
    Whether you were in the wrong, or have been wronged, you are entitled to utilize this site and get a decent response.
    Of which s/he had several excellent responses. Many posters get no response. Nothing in any of the responses to the original question was suspect; the advice was entirely appropriate and correct. Essentially: don't start a website like this unless you're prepared to expend significant sums of money in legal fees to defend yourself against a libel claim. Even if it isn't libelous, court appearances on behalf of a client by an attorney cost money.

I do not think you are a victim. You did not give us access to your blog, so calling you a "defamer" is not just - there is no way to know.
    And who, pray tell, said that s/he's a "defamer"? The one response mentioning defaming the guy deals with "prepared" and "may" and that kind of future infinitive stuff. Yes, the gerund "defaming" is used, but I don't take it to be an actual assertion that the website must be false thus defamation. It's more in line with the topic under discussion. But even if one were so inclined to read that one remark that way, the several other posts should readily have clarified it.

Again, I am sorry you were met with such ignorance for coming to a site meant to help When I get those types of responses, I just remind myself that these people have nothing better to do - sad really.
    I'd love to see how you can claim apt assertions of the current state of the law for defamation suits is actually "ignorance".

I do take your point though. It naturally follows that the half an hour I spend a day on here answering questions must necessarily be because I have no life - after all, why else would anyone undertake to help anyone else but for the lack of a life? To recap, I spend about 1/48th of my day on here answering questions. Sometimes more, oftentimes less. Even if I spent a whole 1/24th of my day here, it still wouldn't follow I have no life.

1.8/10

Quote Quoting brandirosejc
    View Post
    I decided to look up one of the persons who left some of the less appropriate comments. Big surprise....he is much nicer to drunks and felons.
    None of which in the slightest degree minimizes the truth value of any responses you got. Incidentally, we give advice to all kinds of people here, usually without judging their relative value to the human race. It's a shame that these months later, you're still droning on about that. As I said, I shudder to think how you'd react were someone to announce a dislike of your choice in clothing for the day.

He apparently sympathizes more with people who care little about the rest of the public and who would rather threaten the lives of others by driving under the influence, than law abiding citizens who try to protect people from the hurt that comes from predators.
    Criminal and civil laws are different. People being sued generally have a chance to stop the ongoing conduct to ward off the court case. In criminal instances, the deed is done as most crimes are instant events, and the charges have been levied. Nothing undoes that; all that remains is the trial. In a criminal case, there is no possibility of stopping the activity to stave off a trial.

I have to consider the source....obviously some people just want to make the "do-gooder" feel bad for looking out for people who are getting bamboozled.
    No, not really. The degree of accuracy of any advice exists independently of the person offering it. By your logic, you should never take advice about not killing people by a confessed murderer since he is, after all, admittedly of low moral constitution.

You know... rather give advice to delinquents with a disturbing amount of comradery...kind of speaks to his charecter though, that he feels so close to deviants.
    Just as close as anyone is to anyone else on the internet: we're right at your fingertips, like everyone else.
    Again, I appreciate not only your response to this post but also the fact that you are showing people (abusers) for what they are. Maybe the felon loving DUI having message leaver is just offended because there could be a blog out there about him.
    Aren't you the one who got nine kinds of butthurt about a response saying that you need to be ready to devote substantial sums of your personal finances by way of defense against a libel suit if one were filed? I see these months of healing time haven't been adequate to ameliorate that significant emotional event.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3