Default Trees Along the Road In Front of House

we have a set of trees along the road infront of our house that gives privacy. The new neightboors dont like the trees saying they are obstructing the view from their driveway that they need to pull out. They have been mentioning calling the town to call have them comeover and cut back the trees. Obvsioiusy Im not happy abou this as i will lose a major amount of privacy.

I had orignally, when they first asked, cut teh trees back so all the branches were 3ft from the road but they again mentioned today that they didnt like the trees. The real problem in my opinion, which is really beside the point, is that there are telephone poles and road signs which are obsuring their view when they stop at the end of their driveway. So they claim the only way to see oncoming cars as they pull out is when they are about 6ft back from where their driveway meets the road and they use this to judge when its safe to pull out. This view from 6ft back from the end of the driveway is where our line starts to obstruct the view of approximatly 100yds up the road. Ive been in their driveway and think they are just being silly.

any thoughts and ideas?
    can the town just come over and cut the trees down and cut them back?
    what are the rules?

this is in connecticut, if it matters.

edges of tree brances, in closest proximity to road, are 12ft from the center line of the road

Default Re: Trees Along the Road In Front of House

I guess the question is...what is the right of way dimensions for the road? The County or City should have a Right of Way Dept. within their Roads Dept. They should have what is called "Straight Line" maps for each road. That map will depict the right of way. I will guess it is 30 feet; 15 feet either side of centerline.

So, theoretically the trees could be within the right of way and within the right of the City or County to remove them.

IMO, I would first find out the right of way distance before planning my options. Good luck and keep us informed.

edges of tree brances, in closest proximity to road, are 12ft from the center line of the road
    unless this is a very narrow road, that is almost certainly in the road ROW.

I do not know your states standards but in mine and several around me, the current ROW is 33 feet for a standard road which would give 16 1/2 feet from centerline.

Regardless, if the trees do actually cause an obstruction, whether they are in the ROW or not is irrelevant. They only difference would be; who pays to have them pruned. If in the ROW, the municipality generally prunes. If not in the ROW, you would be responsible to prune or pay for it.

Call the municipality and ask them to come out and make a determination. If they agree with you, the neighbor is going to have to go to whatever council meetings you have and seek action or go to court and seek action.

If they disagree with you and agree with the neighbor, if in the ROW, they are going to prune the trees. If not in the ROW, they will order you to prune which, if you want, can contest at whatever council meetings your area has or go to court.

thank you both

1. Sponsored Links